vol/vol vs buffered blend

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by VinKreepo, Dec 16, 2012.

1. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

I've done a few hours of searching but still don't feel like I have a firm grasp of the SONIC differences between vol/vol and buffeted blend. Of course, I know that vol/vol will more than likely isolate the pup's better; however, I am wondering about the tone. My neck Bart overshadows the bridge (CF5CBC set). When they are both maxed, the resulting sound is muddy and boomy. Considering the fact that both pickups are relatively bright compared to their mixed sound, is this a result of the neck pup being louder as well as the pup's loading each other? If so, will a $76 investment into a Bart AGDB (adjustible gain dual buffer) solve the issue by bringing clarity and brightness back into the mixed signal? Thanks!

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Because of lesser string excursion near the bridge, and more string excursion near the neck, in most instruments that have two pickups, the neck pickup can be perceived to be louder than the bridge pickup.

3. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Alright, so vol/vol will solve that, but how does this impedance/loading issue affect the mixed sound? Thanks again.