Volume boost/drop pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HeXetic, Jan 29, 2013.

1. HeXetic

Jan 7, 2008
    I often have a problem with volume when I switch between finger play style or slap/popping or tapping. Say the volume is fine when playing with finger style but then going to slap/pop it's too loud. Or I'm playing finger style but then switching to tapping, it's too soft.

I'm not really sure the best way to handle this. Do I get a compressor so that everything is just level, do I get a volume pedal (like a wah pedal) or do I get something like the MXR Micro Amp that can boost to a certain amount?
  2. I use a volume pedal and compression. I'm also running two amps. I use an ABY pedal. A or B for softer parts and Y when I need the boost.
  3. Also, my volume pedal has a minimum volume level knob that I set. I'm picking up a second volume pedal for other reasons. I've found that running a buffer is necessary when using pedals. Without a buffer there is a 3db loss.
  4. HeXetic

Jan 7, 2008
    What volume pedal are you using? That sounds like it could be an option.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. I'm using an old Boss FV 50H. Got it on the cheaps and it does the job. I switch between playing tap, finger, and pick styles.
  7. HeXetic

Jan 7, 2008
    Your ABY pedal setup is a good idea and makes me think I can just use something like the Boss LS-2 which has a level knob for each line.
  8. Right on. That set up has been working really well for me.
  9. alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    You could also use something like the Source Audio programmable EQ
  10. Deluxe samsamp VT and BDDI give you level and a new EQ in one tap. Two banks of three settings with fx loop pre-selected on or off. I don't know why they aren't more popular.