1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Volume Check: CN212 vs. fEARful 1212/6

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MascisMan, Feb 5, 2014.

1. MascisMan

MascisMan

I know they are not entirely the same, but, volume-wise how would these two cabs stack against each other?

Both receiving say 500 watts, from a TH500?

I'm assuming the perceived volume from the fEARful may be a little bit more because of the dedicated 6" mid driver, however, that's just an assumption.

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There are few things at play here.

The Berg has a higher sensitivity for sure at 1 w/m in the mid range, but it will not go as low. Further more I suspect that as you push the cabs, the larger mechanical capability of the fEARful will feel more open/bigger. Additionally sub 100hz, the fEARful is going to eat the berg as a light snack.

So as far as total volume output, as with many things, it depends. Both will get pretty loud with a 500 watt amp driving them, but they will be very different tonally.

3. MascisMan

MascisMan

Great reply, thanks CL400!

4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

All things being equal, this is the wrong way to look at this comparison, IMO. A better approach is to choose the one that sounds best to you in the mix and then add another 112 if you run into volume issues (which, if you have volume issues with either, you probably need ear protection).

I own neither cab. But I do own the Berg AE212, predecessor to the CN. My understanding was that the CN was purposely voiced a bit more conservatively in the low end to avoid bloom that some players found objectionable. So, slagging the CN because it is "shy" in the sub 100 Hz region seems kind of pointless. These are undoubtedly cabs with different voicings. No way to know which will suit you better without playing both in a working situation with your amp and bass. Relying on other TBers to tell you which you will prefer is unlikely to produce the desired result. Try one. See if it works. If not, try the other.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MascisMan

MascisMan

Yeah, problem is, there are no fEARful Authorized Builders in my area, nor any Bergantino dealers.

So its going to be a leap of faith either way dependent on other owner's personal experiences and reviews.

And if I decide to build a fEARful....no return policy.

7. bucephylus

Yup

OTOH you won't go wildly off course with either one. You would also want to look at weight etc since schlepability is part of the deal with this form factor cab.

8. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    It is really really easy to get loud above 100hz. Guitar cabs do it all the time. I could not care less about how efficient or loud a cab is above 100hz, as it is the response below that point that will eat up power/head room.

Not ever cab is available to every person. So as much as "try it" is the right answer, it is also a very wrong answer for a lot of people as well.

There are several fEARful cabs in your area that you could check out.

Go try what is available... ;)

This is true, that said, they do seem to get snatch up fairly quickly in the classifieds when they do get sold.

9. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Trying is definitely the key. When I settled on the Bergantino CNs I was surprised because that was not what I set out to get in the first place. I would have liked to try a fearful cab but there are no authorized builders up here. Maybe someone in the fearful or bergantino clubs can let you try theirs?

10. MascisMan

MascisMan

I have hooked up with Jim Carr. Going to check out his 15/6/1 when I get the free time.

I'm thinking the 15/6/1 should give me a decent idea on how a 12/6/1 or 12/6 might respond.

11. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Having owned several fEARful cabs I would say this will help you a lot. The 15/6 sounds like the 12/6. Just more senitive/louder.

12. bucephylus

First, not all players are so obsessed with the sub 100 Hz thing as you apparently are. Second, what the heck are you saying here? The Berg is no better than a guitar cab? You know, we all play and hear things differently. Probably a good idea to respect that.

So, he should go try the one you want him to try. I get it. I'm out.

OP - best of luck with decision

13. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Get a HPF and remove everything below 100hz, tell me how your rig sounds then.

The point is this, people stress out over sensitivity and how loud a cab will be. Those figures are usually not broadband, and are usually done around 1kHz. They dont matter, as that is not the region that it is difficult to get loud in.

No he should try out ever cab that is available to him. Maybe someone in the Berg camp could let him know where he can try one out.

14. KJung

KJung

I've owned and gigged both (well, played a number of 1212/6 cabs, and gigged a 15/6 for a while). Both are great, and both are VERY, very different. I greatly prefer the mid complexity, punch and super articulate voicing of the CN212 myself, and the nice efficiency allows you to use almost every head on the market to good effect in all but the loudest settings. Most heads, set 'neutral/flat' sound great through this cab... easy peasy plug and play.

That being said, the huge, open low end of the 1212/6, with enough watts, is really something. It sounds very different, and I found it hard to 'punch up' (i.e., lot's of low end, lots of upper midrange, not a lot else).

Different strokes. If you dig the tone of a bass guitar in a post mastered mix on a CD or whatever, the CN212 is about as good as it gets. If you are a dub player, and/or want the maximum low end power, and /or dig the tone of a bass cranking direct through a moderate sized front of house system, hard to beat the 1212/6.

Neither can be EQ's to sound anything like the other.

15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    I have zero issue dialing low mids and puch with my fEARful cabs. For reference the EQ sections I use are not complex. Ampeg PF-500, Aguilar TH, Peavey Classic 400.

16. Anthbass

Anthbass

Actually, there is a guy who is an authorized builder not too far from you, in Ottawa - Dekker @ shobass.com

I spoke with him about building one a few years ago. I didn't follow through, but he does do nice work.

17. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

You might not, but really that is the subjectivity part of all this. It all depends on what you expect to hear in the low mids and what you consider "punch" to be. I'm more with Ken on this as I've had massive issues getting the mids and punch I want out of extended range cabinets. The converse for me would be to say I've never had issues getting low end out of the cabinets I've loved to play through (such as a Genz Neox 212, Bear ML-112, TC RS210 for example), but then someone such as yourself might say they can't get enough bottom out of them.

And then there's the audience who wouldn't notice a difference if any of us switched between 10 different cabinets throughout the night! :D

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

He is out, there are no authorized Canadian builders.

As a person that built a fEARful on description alone, I can tell you they sound like exactly what they're supposed to, a high end studio monitor with extremely flat response. When I finished mine I jammed through it and thought it must be working right because that is what it sounds like.

With that in mind, fEARfuls don't mask **** like normal cabs due to not having an inherent voicing. I can put anything through my Epifani and get a great tone whereas my fEARful gets dialed in for each bass.

And yeah, mine has great honkin' mids, especially when I was running an SWR 750x. I am another Jaco wannabe, so I get that puppy honking some times. Heck my tone is probably more low mids than super lows.

19. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Kind of to Ken's point though, that's an advantage of using some cabs like the CN212. You get an instantly recognizable tone that is comfy in a band mix because it's so much of what you hear on recordings. IME, these ultra wide, hi-fi cabs don't give you that unless you really spend time dialing it in, and even then it's very hard to get there. So I think you really have to want to hear that kind of hi-fi tone or you're going to be disappointed in the long run. Same philosophy applies to a more traditional sounding cabinet. Folks on here debate the technical advantages of one versus the other, but really if you don't pick a piece of gear that gives you the sound you want pretty easily and without fuss, then chances are you're not going to like it for very long.

dome likes this.
  20. dawind99

dawind99

Disclosures:
    Owner: Revsound
    Well said.

TonyP- likes this.
  21. dawind99

dawind99

Disclosures:
    Owner: Revsound
    Right on!