1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Volume/Level of BDDI Seems Weak?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdwhitak, Dec 11, 2013.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

I just picked up a BDDI and I'm using it to play along to tracks on my computer through my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett). I'm using the XLR out on the BDDI to the line in on the Scarlett. The BDDI and Scarlett are both set to line level. The volume level just seems week. The level on the BDDI is turned up to 3 o'clock and the input on the Scarlett is up just as much. Is this normal for Tech 21 products? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for all help!
  2. Turtle71

Turtle71

Well, I can't give you a technical answer (though I'm sure someone will chime in with one for you).

I run a similar setup at home for practice & basic idea recordings, but I run into a small mixer (2 bass signals, one wet & one dry) then into a Saffire 6 interface. But I run my switches on the BDDI in the "INST" position, perhaps give that a try?

However, I have the opposite problem, my level is at about 11 o'clock and if anything it's too hot?

Perhaps you've got a dud? Though I haven't heard about people having troubles with the BDDI.
  3. Robus

Robus

Don't you have a gain control on the Scarlett? I record direct from a BDDI through a Roland Quad-Capture A/D-D/A. Usual procedure is to set the volume on the BDDI to a reasonable level, about 3/4, then adjust the input level on the Roland to produce a good level going into my DAW. Then I adjust the monitor level through the DAW.

If what you're trying to do is balance the sounds of your bass and the recorded track through your monitor speakers, you should use a mixer within the computer. I would set the BDDI and A/D to get a good input level that does not distort rather than trying to control your monitor level with it.
  4. jdwhitak

Yes, my interface has a gain control. It is also about 3/4 of the way up or more. My particular interface has a built-in mixer too. I had a Para Driver before and I had the same problem.
  5. Robus

Robus

Somethings not right. If I max the volume on the BDDI, I have to lower the gain on my A/D to almost zero to avoid distortion.
  6. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Are you using a new Bass Driver or older model? The Version 1 only had one slider switch for phantom and ground. The V2 has 2 switches.

The V1 has a pad on the XLR output that cuts the output by -20dB. If you have the V1 try using the 1/4" output. You can also just change the setting on the Scarlett to "instrument level" but be sure to turn the gain down first.
  7. jdwhitak

Thinking about this just now and I think I may have solved my problem. I'm using an XLR to 1/4" TRS cable. The 1/4" input on my interface bypasses the audio interface's mic preamp. I'll try a regular mic cable this weekend and report back.
  8. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The way you have it configured should work well.

Those combo jacks accept an XLR, TRS or TS 1/4". The other thing to consider is not just the Scarlett but also the software settings. With my interface I have line and instrument level combo jacks and TRS line inputs but I also have to set the software mixer of my interface correctly as well as my DAW's internal input mixer to make it work correctly.