Volume pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mpcbassman, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Mpcbassman

Mpcbassman

I weasel my way into musicals as an electric bass player when an upright player is needed with much success, but there is always a headache that I encounter quite often:
    Arco sections. The way I always get around with this is with turning my knobs down and up and feel it out with the band to get it "cool", but that can be difficult depending on the passage.
    I'd like to get a volume pedal for this now because it can be a real pain in terms of coordination depending on the passage.
    I know nothing about pedals. Don't know what I will need. Don't know how to use em, don't know the brands that make em, don't know what the compromises of using one would be (IE i once tried a wireless instrument cord, and it changed the tone of the instrument noticeably),

So, recommend me a volume pedal. A GOOD one. Not the BEST one. A GOOD one. Tell me the compromises of it and the good things about it. Tell me what I will need to use it (special cords?).
    Go!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So, a regular volume pedal is just like the volume knob on your bass--the only difference is you "turn" it by rocking your foot back and forth. For slow passages this works great. For faster passages, you'll break your foot trying. :)

Another option is an effect that automatically swells the beginning of each note. The old Boss "Slow Gear" is the best known one, but there are new ones by VFE, Pigtronix, and others. Maybe somebody else can chime in with more specific names. Unfotunately those automatic ones also don't work so great on fast passages, although it depends on your settings, because the pedal is "listening" to whether you're playing a note or not, and during fast playing it doesn't "hear" any rests.

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Time for a cheap EUB. No wangling required to get gigs.

4. line6man

line6man

Yeah, it's a volume pot in pedal form. The only disadvantage is a decreased input impedance for the bass, which loads the signal.

You need to determine the impedance of your signal, to choose the proper pot value for the pedal. If the bass has an active component in the signal path, the impedance will be low, and thus, call for a 25k, 50k or 100k pot. If the bass is passive, you will want 250k or 500k. If the pot value is too low, it will load the signal. If it is too high, the pedal will behave like a switch.

5. Register to disable this ad