1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Volume pot issue...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chris1125, Nov 4, 2012.

1. chris1125

chris1125

On both volume pots on my bass a problem has developed. They still work perfectly fine but when turning the knob, there's no clear stopping or starting point. It just turns all the way around in a circle.

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    The knob has become loose in the shaft of the pot.

3. chris1125

chris1125

How do you go about fixing that?

4. bumperbass

bumperbass

What do you mean, they still work perfectly fine? They turn all the way down and then turn all the way up without stopping? Sounds like a loose set screw.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ncapone

ncapone

If it's a loose set screw, just tighten that. Otherwise the nut that's holding in your pots to the body is a bit loose. Take off the knobs and tighten them. It's a simple fix.

7. Thecomedian

Thecomedian

you might want to open the wiring cavity and make sure you haven't wrapped your wiring around the pot as it has moved freely.

I don't think it's possible for the pot itself to have split apart, still work, but avoid hitting the plastic and metal stops together that form the restriction on how far you can turn your pot's shaft around.

The other possibility is that the knob itself is just loose, tight enough to change volume, but loose enough to slip when it hits the end of the pot's range internally.