1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

volume pot problem and upgrade question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lorger, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Lorger

Lorger

I picked up a VM squier jazz bass to use while I sort out my primary bass. I love the sound, I think it is as nice and aggressive as a better jazz base. I use a Hartke HA5500. So when I turn the volume down on both controls, it still has like 30-40% if not more. On my practice amp it cuts all the way down. I was wondering if upgrading or replacing the pot will fix this. I only lower the volume rarely in a song, but I do like to completely turn down between a lot of songs. The former owner of my Rick wired it to have a master volume, so I am also thinking going that way. Thing is, I really like its sound and do not want to loose it by making a change.

TIA

Marcel Lorger
  2. line6man

line6man

The pots are probably fine. There is no need to replace them unless they are scratchy, loose, poorly tapered, or the wrong value for your preference.

If a pot does not fully mute the signal when turned all the way down, it is almost always a grounding problem. Unless the third terminal has broken off of the end of the resistive element, the pot reduces the resistance from the wiper terminal, to that terminal, to within a couple of Ohms of zero. This means that if the third terminal is grounded properly, the signal cannot flow to the output, as it is almost directly shunted to ground.

When there is no ground, you get similar behavior to what you have described, because the pot is only providing a series resistance from pickup to output. The resistance of the pot is not high enough to completely stop the signal from the pickups from reaching the output.
  3. Lorger

Lorger

Thank's, Ill check that out

Marcel