1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Volume Pot Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by portaflexer, Dec 20, 2013.

1. portaflexer

portaflexer

Hey guys. Sorry if I'm asking a stupid question, but I'm not a wiring whiz.

A buddy of mine brought me a bass the other day because it needed the jack replaced. That is simple enough, I did it with ease. However, he mentioned that the volume pot turns the opposite way on this bass for some reason.

When I opened her up, I realized why, a previous owner had added a kill switch at some point and they had to turn the pot around so the switch would clear. Unfortunately, now the pickup lead is too short to reach to the other side of the pot, so that's probably why it's wired the way it is. I could add a jumper wire to extend the pickup lead, but I didn't have the right gauge wire at the time.

Anyway, after I put it back together and gave it back to him, I started thinking. Couldn't I have just reversed the hot and group leads to reverse the pot direction? Or would that result in the entire signal going to ground and making no sound at all?

I'm probably doing a terrible job of explaining this, so I drew it.

[​IMG]

2. P Town

P Town Guest

Just swap the outer connections, and leave the center lug going to the jack, to reverse how the direction of rotation affects the volume.

3. jefkritz

jefkritz

IME, no. You'll need to do the "normal way", ie switch the lead from the p/u and the ground.

although i could be wrong. it wouldn't be too hard to try... the first rule of diy hacking is "if it works, don't ask why"

4. portaflexer

portaflexer

I can't do that because there isn't enough pickup wire. I guess I could always add a jump wire to extend it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

you have to, that's the only way it'll work right.

7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Swap hot p/u and ground on 'question' diagram?

8. portaflexer

portaflexer

Ahhh. I suppose that may do it. I'm not sure if there's enough wire though. There's barely enough to reach the post it's soldered to now. If I have to extend the wire, I might as well do it "right." That's a good idea though.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

ehh, that's just sort of right; the sweep and tone are compromised that way.
    yeah, just extend the wire and do it the actual right way, the "normal" example.

10. JustForSport

JustForSport

Yeah, extending the leads is the right way.
    I wasn't sure if swapping those two would work- I've seen pots wired that way, but didn't a/b values to know for sure.

11. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician Supporting Member

This.

The center lug is the wiper. Putting the wiper to ground would mean all your signal would be going to ground.

Read this:

http://fddrsn.net/pcomp/examples/potentiometers.html

12. portaflexer

portaflexer

That's what I was wondering about. Thanks for all the help guys.