Volume/Tone Pot question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Wallygator, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Wallygator

Wallygator

Hi there,

Just picked up a Fender Blacktop Jazz bass in a recent trade. So far I love the fit, finish, feel and sound of the bass. It has a great range of tones but (and I have been reading this about this model) the issue I have is the reponsiveness of the knobs. it seems the volume and tone knobs don't do much until the last 30% of the turn.

So my question is this? Would switching out the pots help balance out the range and if so what pots would you recommend and why?

Cheers :bassist:

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Some people like the linear taper better for vol, and audio for tone, but I've not had any problem getting good range of response from audio volume pots and linear tone. (that's what came in those basses and works fine).
    You'd think Fender could get the pots right by now...
    but you may need to change out to linear taper pots if those are audio taper.
    I'm sure someone will be along with an explanation why.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

which direction?

everything happening near the top on the volume knob means audio taper, while everything happening near the bottom on the tone means linear taper; if this is what you're getting, you want to swap the pots around (to get linear volume and audio tone).

4. Wallygator

Wallygator

Thanks! it is happening at the top of the turn. Appreciate the info.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

for volume and tone?

try a linear volume, but the (obviously audio taper) tone is likely OK. linear tones do nothing until they're almost all the way down, at which point they act like a switch.

7. AlarmClock314

AlarmClock314

Here's a thread about pot taper in Blacktop basses from 3 months ago:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/fender-blacktop-precision-volume-pots-1028290/

Here's a similar thread from about 2 weeks ago:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/pot-switch-1047004/

I think that Blacktop basses come stock with cheap 500k audio taper pots for all controls.

The quality of a pot likely has a large impact on its usable sweep. If you're going to replace the pots, do yourself a favor and buy good quality. Remember that pot taper preference is... personal preference. There are many TB posts about liner vs audio taper and 250k vs 500k.

Hope that helps.