Volume-Volume-Tone OR Volume-Blend-tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassman74, Dec 11, 2009.

?

which one do you prefer V-V-T or V-B-T?

Poll closed Dec 18, 2009.
  1. Volume-Volume-Tone

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Volume-Bland-Tone

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    soon to become reviewer and interviewer for EADG mag
    V-V-T or V-B-T???

which one do you prefer?

can'T decide between the 2.
  2. line6man

line6man

Please, do a search.

There are several polls already on the matter.

I prefer VVT plus a 3 way switch on my PJ Jazz bass.
  3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

My newly converted-to-active jazz had a blend pot that came with the preamp. I converted it to classic Vol-Vol and utilized the preamp's Treble & Bass
  4. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

I really dont understand the guys that always tell people to do a search. You obviously clicked on the thread and the posted a response so whats the problem? Do you not want anything to be on TB? Eventually everything will be found by searching rather than posting a new thread.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

I have explained the pros and cons of the two setups several times now, and these topics have been done before at least two or three times that I remember off hand.

There is no need to post a new poll about this when we can go off of an existing one by bumping the thread.
  7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Some topics come up so frequently that it IS annoying, and this is one of them. There's not any new discoveries about the pros and cons of VVT vs VBT. And it seems to come up once a month like clockwork so it doesn't take effort to search for this topic.

It took one minute for me to find that since November 13, there have been six threads with "blend" in the title.

John
  8. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    soon to become reviewer and interviewer for EADG mag
    Poor you guys, have you visit the luthier's corner, it's always the same subject, same stuff but sometimews different point of view...

Next time you'll see a v-v-t thread, forget about it, don't click on it.

I just wanted to see if anyone would bring something different to the table...
  9. Hoover

Hoover

Well, I don't think I've ever responded to a previous VVT vs VBT thread, so I'll play:

I don't have a preference.

For most of my meat&potatoes work either one works just as well, because I really only use A) both Volumes fully CW, or the Blend pot right up the center; or B) I roll off the neck pu Volume control ~25%, or back the Blend knob towards the bridge ~33-50%. Either configuration yields the desired result. I'm not claiming that either configuration yields the exact same result, but since my VVT & VBT basses aren't All Other Things Equal that's a strawman, so a moot point.

On those rare instances when I'm not doing meat&potatoes work but rather ReallyWeirdStuffSansPotatoes, I suppose it's easier to deal with VBT, because those are the only instances where I need to go all the way to one pickup or the other, and I guess it is marginally more efficient to move the Blend knob from its midway point to either extreme than it is to dial back a Volume control from fully CW to fully CCW. But geez, that's splitting hairs.
  10. shrigg

shrigg Supporting Member

I've heard there can be sonic advantages to VVT vs. VBT
    What do the highest end basses usually have?

(Now going to use the Search function)
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

12. Ezbass

Ezbass

3 way switch, volume, tone as in photo below. Originally went for VVT but those subtle in between tones I could hear on my own were lost with the band. The 3 way gives me much faster tonal changes too. Has a Vol, blend, tone on a J once, but you do get a lot of extra resistance fron the blend pot which can kill your tone.

"Do a search"? C'mon guys lighten up :), sometimes there are just too many resukts to wade through, or the search filter won't let you search what you want to find anyway.

[​IMG]
  13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

It probably depends on the tones you like more than anything. I have actually had a recent change of heart on the matter. I was always a blend guy, but I would have to say I really prefer the V-V now.

On a jazz bass, I play with the bridge PU wide open all of the time, the neck PU volume is really more of a second tone control for me. I will roll that PU in and out depending on the sound I am going for. I am certain I could dial up the same thing with a blend, but using the volume is very straight forward and simple. I like it.
  14. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob Supporting Member

That's an interesting perspective. I'm a hardcore VBT guy but thinking of keeping my next bass passive. This approach makes a lot of sense except that I'd miss my master volume. Can you sum the output of both volume pots to a 3rd pot if you want?
  15. line6man

line6man

Yes, I have done at least one or two wiring diagrams for guys that wanted two pickup volumes into a third master volume.

I would suggest using a 1M master volume pot, to avoid losing too much treble compared with a regular two volume setup.

Edit:
    Ok, here is one:
    [​IMG]
    Come to think of it, it would probably work better to switch terminals one and two on the master volume actually.
  16. Eric Scholz

Eric Scholz

My G&L works the same way. except the neck pickup works better for the main tone.