Volutes on Carved Scrolls

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassist1962, Dec 7, 2013.

1. bassist1962

bassist1962

I have a fully carved German bass that I took to an audition last night. This afternoon, when I took it out of the bag to practice, I noticed one of the volutes was missing. I found it in the bottom of my bag. I do not remember bumping the scroll and it looks as if, it is a clean shear. I found on Gollihur's site, volutes for an Englehardt and was wondering if this is a 'normal' breakaway, or did I actually damage the instrument?
  2. Andrew McGregor

Andrew McGregor

Well, if it's a planed-smooth surface with traces of glue, it was made as a separate piece (possibly laminated on before carving, on a carved instrument). If it's less than perfectly smooth, it probably did break off.

But either way, no big deal, it's a common occurrence and not hard to fix. Just keep it clean until you can get to someone.
  3. bassist1962

bassist1962

It seems to be a clean planed surface, but I dont see any glue residue which is why I posted this question. I will get it in for this and other repairs needed. Thank you. How often does something like this occur?
  4. bassist1962

bassist1962

If I choose to repair this myself, should I use hide glue, or would something like titebond (brown label) work?
  5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    You should use real hide glue. That Titebond 'Hide Glue' is only useful for labels and top nuts - things that you want to come off easily...
  6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

I wasn't aware that separate volute pieces are found on carved basses. I know that Kay and Engelhardt basses have glued-on volutes. Other than those, how common is/was the practice? Luthiers?
  7. bassist1962

bassist1962

Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

8. bassist1962

bassist1962

More

Attached Files:

9. bassist1962

bassist1962

Two more. I am now wondering if this was cracked previously and due to climate changes of a move from the great lakes region to the south in 2006, starting to play the instrument again after a 30 year hiatus and a move to the pacific northwest this year, it just finally gave away.

Attached Files:

10. eerbrev

eerbrev

looks like a break to me. no big deal.
  11. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    It looks like the neck blank had 'ears' glued on to the scroll portion to make it wide enough to carve a proper scroll and one of those 'ears' has come off.

No problem. If you look at the back of the peghead of Gibson guitars and mandolins you'll be able to see the added material. I'm sure its done on basses all the time, too, its just harder to see. ;)
  12. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Thank you. :)