Voodo Labs ISO 5 enough for my needs?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ustabawannab, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

I may have backed myself into a corner here.

I have two Digitech iStomps, a Tech21 BDDI, a MXR-M87, a TC Polytune and a Line 6 G50 Relay Receiver on my Pedaltrain Jr. I purchased and mounted the ISO 5 before I bought the MXR.

Currently I have the G50 on the 300 mA 9V outlet with three 100mA 9V outlets left for everything else. The Polytune has an in/out receptacle on it so I connected it to one of the 100mA receptacles then out to the MXR. I bought a Y plug and split the second remaining receptacle between the two iStomps. The remaining receptacle powers the BDDI.

That didn't work.

The iStomps just fast/flashed and never came up. So, instead I connected each iStomp to its own 100 mA receptacle and split the output from the polytune between the BDDI amd the MXR-M87. Everything works fine so far but I'm concerned that I'm not providing a enough headroom to the compressor and DI. According to the specs in their owners manuals, the BDDI wants 100 mA but only draws 6 mA. The MXR draws 18 mA with LEDs lit.

Am I risking reduced headroom by powering both pedals on 100 mA or is it time to upgrade the Vooo Labs ISO 5 to something else? I wish I could use the ISO's available 18V receptacle but am worried about overvolatage into any of the pedals.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Do you notice that you have less headroom?

I'd say it's time for a PP2+ or another psu of choice...
  3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I'd be more worried about the 3 digital units needing higher amperage than the BDDI or compressor which should both be fine. I think all 3 of the digital pedals might be near the minimum of their needs in your current setup.
  4. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Technically the iStomps want 150mA and I'm only giving them 100. The G50 transmitter is getting 300 mA, which it wants so I'm OK there. If I go with the PP+ I'm going to under power the G50 and still not provide enough for both iStomps.

I think what I'm going to do is split the 300 mA receptacle between the iStomps and use the 3 remaining 100 mA outlets between the BDDI, Polytune and MXR. I can add one more pedal off the Polytune in the future. As for the G50, back to the wall wart :bawl::
  5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Sounds like a good plan to me- if you want to look into other power supplies I believe the CIOKs Big John will cover your needs perfectly. I use their AC-10 supply on my board and love it.
  6. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Why not power the BDDI with phantom power? BDDI on phantom power -- G50 on the 300ma -- iStomps on their own 100ma -- Tuner->MXR comp on last 100ma outlet

As a side note...+1 for Cioks Big John ;) ...not playing Devil's advocate or anything.