1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vote: ampeg ss or hybrid that sounds most tubelike

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by whitespikebass, Dec 26, 2013.

1. whitespikebass

whitespikebass

Would love to get a general vote of this out of pure curiosity! What's your favorite ss or hybrid Ampeg amp that sound most like an SVT, V4 or B15? Vote!
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I don't even know what it is called, but there's a combo Ampeg made that sounds a lot like an old flip-top. I play upright through one at a friend's house, and it sound very good. If I knew what it was, that would be useful, but I don't know the designation. I think it has a single 15" speaker, which might be a big part of its charm. It is the exact size and shape of an evil 410 combo, so I have no interest in ever owning one. But it sounds good.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    B100R is the combo you're thinking of, I think. But it's considerably smaller than a 410 so maybe it's not.

I go back and forth on whether I like the SVT 4 Pro or 7 Pro best as an SVT substitute. The 7 Pro sounds a lot like an SVT being slightly pushed hard to where it gets a little sag, and a year ago I'd have said the 7 Pro hands down, but the 4 Pro hits very hard like a clean running SVT and the couple times I've used one in the past few months were really enjoyable. The PF heads are also quite good in the vein of the 7 Pro as well, but that 4 Pro really has a quality I enjoy.
  4. lowend1

lowend1

Small combo - def the B100R. Head? Lots of them, but in the bang-for-the-buck dept, my favorite is the Crate BT-350. Built by SLM on the same line as the Ampeg stuff and allegedly using many of the same parts, it was the only "pro" bass amp to ever wear the Crate badge. Through a fridge, very SVT-like.
  5. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

IMHO the best amp Ampeg is producing right now, that isnt full tube is the PF-800. Crank up the compressor and gain. It sounds fantastic.
  6. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

7-Pro or Mesa Walkabout gets close and probably good enough in a band situations but solo playing at home says otherwise.

My mission in life is to find something that sounds exactly like my CL with at least 500 watts @ 4ohms (but would prefer 1kW) that weighs under 20 lbs.

Have not tried the Mesa tube amps yet.
  7. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

That's it. Thanks. It really sounds good in a small room. Now that I think about it, the amp is much smaller than a 410 combo, but it is still in spawn of the devil back trasher territory. Any more or less cube shaped object that requires bending over and is heavy falls into spawn of the devil back thrasher territory. It has wheels, but those only get you so far, and you have to bend over to roll it around. Enough whining from me - the amp sounds great.