1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vox Amplug, any alternatives?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ToadWarrior, Sep 5, 2013.

1. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

Hey guys I've recently moved out of my rowdy dorms into a much quieter town house style apartment, and I no longer feel comfortable rocking out with my Ampeg B-50r and Stereo system into the late hours...

So i'm interested in some kind of headphone practice method, I have a Zoom H4N, and I can run my bass through my computer and guitar rig 4 but the latency is really weird for me and I find it hard as hell to get a tone that sits with my Itunes music inside my headphones. (Always seems really synthetic, boomy, and just unpleasant)

So yeah the Vox amplug sounds like it's pretty much perfect for me, but I'm just wondering if there are any alternatives out there, maybe something like a multi-effects pedal like the Zoom B3 that I might be able to get some other use out of.

Does anyone know if the sound coming out of my ipod , going into the amplug, and coming out my headphones would still be in full stereo?

Any input, recommendations, etc, are greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
  2. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I use the amplug when I travel. I'm very happy with it. Use it with my mp3 player and it works well.
  3. Happynoj

Happynoj

Considering how cheap you can get the amplugs, I wouldn't worry that it doesn't go anything else.
  4. Happynoj

Happynoj

And I should also say that I have an amplug and it is great. Does exactly what I wanted it for. Sounds fine.
  5. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

That's an interesting question. I don't own one, so I don't know if it throughputs the Aux signal in stereo. It is an important point, though. I have two amps that I use for headphone practice, a GK MB200 and an Ampeg MicroVR. The Ampeg has the best sounding headphone out I've heard (much better than the B50r, which I also have), and the Aux is in stereo. This makes a huge difference when practicing with mp3's. By comparison, the GK's mono Aux is tinny and low volume, plus the headphone sound is a little synthetic.

I would agree that at the price point, the Vox is a can't lose purchase. To step up into other decent headphone amps, you're going into more hundreds of dollars. The 3 Leaf Audio Enabler, Cafe Walter, and [sfx] used to have one that you might be able to get Max to build again for you. The Zoom B3 will let you do about a billion other things, so it may be worth getting that if most of what you do is jamming at home and recording. Zoom makes great sounding stuff.
  6. Peke

Peke

If you have an iPad or iPhone you might want to check out the Jam Up app (requires an iOS audio interface of some kind).
  7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Ha, right, almost forgot. I use my iPhone quite a bit when traveling, using the iRig app and adapter. Lets you load in songs from your iTunes library for practicing. The app is free with purchase of the adapter, and you can buy all sorts of amp and pedal models.
  8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

9. bobpond

bobpond Supporting Member

Yes stereo through the headphones matching the Aux source L/R.
  10. ToadWarrior

ToadWarrior

Thanks alot guys, like you guys said It's kind of a can't lose purchase so I went ahead and got it.... Immediately I was pretty impressed by the tone on this guy though I did just restring my guitar with fresh rounds for a gig tomorrow.

I'll probably be using this thing quite abit, jamming with my ipod is WAY easier with decent tone and no latency.

Onl complaints are that the line in audio might lose a tiny bit of fidelity and that thing feels pretty flimsy... Then again it is dirt cheap and definitely does exactly what I needed it to do.
  11. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I have 2 Amplugs. The bass one and one of the guitar ones. I think they're awesome.
  12. Systolic

Systolic

Vox AmPHONES. I love mine. I use them for practice and at night.
  13. Spectrum

Spectrum

I have an AmPlug. It's okay, in my opinion the tone is a little muddy, at least through my headphones anyway. But it gets the job done.

Biggest thing I worry about is bumping it and breaking the plug off in my bass's output jack. I really wish they had come up with a better way to configure it.

Those AmPhones look like a cool idea, wish those had been out earlier.

Another thing you can do is get one of these cool little Danelectro Honeytone guitar amps and use headphones with it. Bonus because it's a nice little belt-clip guitar amp, too.

[​IMG]
  14. Michael Pearce

Michael Pearce

I went to the store the other day hoping to pick up the bass version of the VOX amPlug, and instead I came home with a TASCAM GB-10 Guitar & Bass Trainer. It's basically a headphone amp and an MP3 player combined. The quality and sound are mediocre (like a lot of their products), but it does have one great feature. You can change the tempo (playback speed) of a song without effecting the pitch. This has been great for me, because I can slow down a song while I'm learning it. You can also change the pitch without effecting the speed, which I've used to play things farther up the neck.
  15. scottiwkt

scottiwkt Supporting Member

Likewise, I was recently looking for a good headphone amp solution. I considered the Amplug as well as every other solution I could find.

In the end, I settled on a Boss Micro BR. Since the newer BR-80 model was released, these have been selling dirt cheap. I found used units for around $65 all day long and managed to buy a NOS unit for $99 shipped.

For the money, I couldn't beat the features...multi-track recording, phrase training with slow down/pitch correction, drum rhythms, etc. With only a handful of bass specific effects/modeling, it doesn't have a ton of effects compared to something like the Korg Pandora, but for practice and doubling as a full featured recorder, dollar for dollar/feature for feature I couldn't find a better deal.

Of course, this assumes that you're willing to take on a bit of a learning curve ;-) This unit definitely doesn't have the plug and play simplicity of something like the Amplug. However, I only spent around an hour finding my way around the Micro BR before feeling comfortable with most of it's features.
  16. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

Big +1

I have the Bass Amplug, and it is perfect! Yes, it operates in stereo. What a great invention. I wish I would have invented it! Worth every penny. I can practice at midnight when others are sleeping. I plug my ipod into it. It sounds great! I recommend using a good set of headphones. I use Sony MDR-7506 headphones. IMO, they are the best.
  17. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

there headphone amp is metal works great, the only thing i'd rather have is the café walter, but its $$ . I also have the zoom b3 which is everything in one headphone amp, multi effects pedal, metronome, tuner, ect.
  18. butler

butler

Does the b3 have an aux in?
  19. Swift713

Swift713

No aux in on the B3 :-(
    I really wish it did have one.
  20. Shardik

Shardik

I may get a Vox amPlug Bass. Is the FX setting useful or just a gimmick?