Vox Amplug or irig/amplitube for mobile practice?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Balog, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Balog

Balog Supporting Member

So I spend about 2-3 hours a day sitting on a bus, and at the moment I spend that time either sleeping or arguing with people on the internet. So in an effort to be more productive, I'm buying a short scale bass and looking at ways to practice sans outlets.

So far the two products I see get the most mention are the Vox Amplug and the irig/amplitube/iphone combo. Either will let me play along with songs while sitting on the bus. Both are around the same price.

So does one offer a significant advantage over the other? Any other options I should explore?
  2. BBQV

BBQV

I've used the Amplug for a couple of years and I like it a lot! The only downside is some hiss when the batteries run low. If the output jack is on the side of your bass the Amplug might get in the way when you sit down and play.

I have no experience with the iRig.
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I have an Amplug. I like it a lot.
  4. waterboy

waterboy

I've been using my AmPlug for about a year now and I've got zero complaints.

I haven't used the iRig(no iPhone/Pad), but the ability to screw around with effects and record could be fun.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Irig, but be sure to download AmpKit. Or even PocketGK. They just sound better than Amplitube.
  7. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Positive Grid Beta tester
    iRig and any of the apps for iOS is MUCH better then the Vox Amplug.
  8. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Well, I find Amplitube best after they gave out the B15. But both Ampkit and the GK apps rocks.
  9. blueacid4l

blueacid4l

I love the Amplug, use it in the truck when we're going to the gig to learn last minute songs on the way to a gig. BUT... Vox has something pretty cool coming out called amPhones... they're Beats-esque headphones made by AKG for Vox that plug directly into your bass to hear it... that's it. I believe it has a compressor and/or a speaker simulator as well. When you're not practicing you can use them as regular headphones. I'm waiting for them to come out so I can order a pair.
  10. Balog

Balog Supporting Member

Sounds interesting, let us know how those work when you get them.
  11. makohund

makohund

12. masturbasser

masturbasser

Hmmm very interesting. Vox seems to me are monopolising a very neglected area of the bass market with their headphone amps.

I have no experience with the Amplug, but I do own a Vox AC1 bass rhythm!!! It's a very small and portable headphone amp with an aux input for for your Ipod (it also has 2 small external speakers running at 1 watt but they're a joke to put it mildly). The best part is all the rhythm tracks it has on it!!!!! It has an E string tuner and can run on batteries or a 9v adapter. I use mine everyday. Check it out!!!!!

EDIT: It's only $60 new. It's a relatively new product so I doubt you'll find any used.
  13. Balog

Balog Supporting Member

I don't think the reviewer was terribly clear on this point... :D But thanks for the link, informative read.

Very interesting, I'll have to check that out. Thanks!
  14. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

I'm reviving this for an update: how are the amphones? In thinking I getting a pair...
  15. Blackjax

Blackjax

I was going to pull the trigger on some but there is just enough negative and uncertainty about them to make me hesitate. A local shop that carries Vox didn't even know about them and never got back to me about them when I told him.

I started getting into the apps like JamUp/PocketGK/Amplitube and decided to get headphones or earphones first.
  16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

Media:
    If you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, PocketGK with iRiffPort works really well. You can use other amp apps with the iRiffPort, too - but I like PocketGK for a practice tool.
  17. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Reviving the answer, Jamup XT with the bass pack, iPod/ iPhone / iPad and a 30pin digital interface such as the Apogee Jam. Nothing beats that. Period.
  18. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

Cool! Thanks for the info!
  19. MakoMan

MakoMan

I considered the Amplug, but really was not that dazzled for the price ($70 CDN plus tax) ended up getting one of these cheapie Ebay Flanger Preppie units:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-P...t=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item460c6426f9

Works fine. Decent volume, rechargeable which saves on batteries. For 15 bucks it does the job. At higher volumes it sounds pretty fake but at a reasonable practice volume you can get a decent tone with the gain turned fully down and the volume just short of the sound breaking up. They come in two versions red which is heavy rock tone and blue which is classic Marshall guitar amp. I bought the blue, not realizing there was a difference. In retrospect the red might be better, but I'm happy with the blue model. It also comes with a USB charging cord and extension cord to plug in a CD, computer or phone.
    I have not been able to compare it directly to an Amplug for bass, however I do also own a Vox Rhythmvox for bass, which has virtually the same tone and headphone volume as the Amplug. Honestly, I can get just as good a tone out of the Flanger as the Vox and certainly more volume at a clean setting. Neither are anywhere near as good as a real bass amp of course, but very convenient for practice and particularly hotel room practice etc.
  20. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

21. Duke21

Duke21

Disclosures:
    Nice concept, and design!