1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vox amPlug

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LuvMusic, Apr 21, 2008.

1. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Just curious:

Has anyone ever used one of these with a bass?

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/amplug/

If you have, I'd be interested in your opinion. Seems like a handy little device.

Thanks!
  2. FLEABASS

FLEABASS

Wanna bump this because i saw one the other day fro £30 and was wandering more about it.
  3. DrKagemusha

DrKagemusha

I ordered mine last week. Ill do a review when I can.
  4. jaseOZ

jaseOZ

Yeah man I started with the AC30 for bass and it worked brilliantly> You just had to be careful with the gain or else it would distort.

I use it for guitar as well and prefer it's distortion (gain up!) to the Boss DS-2 pedal I had.

I just bought the BASS Amplug and it is really killer. Very tubey tone and it even has a fuzz effect you employ by moving the on/off switch to a third position which isn't present on the AC30 version.

So yeah now I own two amplugs. Mostly they plug into the outlet of my pedal board and I have my iPod sending music into it and it outputs to a mini stereo system that I use for practising (whiny neighbours mean I can't use my amp).

i also use both amplugs as pre-amps for recording my demos into garageband and they sound killer.

The best part about them is you can practise anywhere. I take my bass to the beach with some headphones and I can plug the ipod in and practice my bands set anywhere.

I can't recommend amplugs highly enough, I love them.
  5. Infernal Affair

Infernal Affair

I was thinking of getting an Earwig, but I just remembered with the Amplug I don't even need a 1/4" cable. Sweet.
  6. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Sounds like you are a happy Amplug user! Kinda' of funny when I originally posted this question the Bass version of the Amplug didn't exist.

Maybe time to check it out again. The idea of a practice tool I can carry easily is attractive.
  7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Wow. Definitely gonna check this out :D
  8. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Disclosures:
    i got paid for a gig once.
    will this fit into the socket for the Ibanez SR500? The socket seems to be recessed into the front of the bass body.

Thanks,
    Paul
  9. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Disclosures:
    i got paid for a gig once.
    It doesn't fit. The unit wants to be where the bridge is.
  10. kerya_z

kerya_z

Hey, I wonder how fine VOX Amplug AC30 is with bass. There's no amplug bass in local stores in my location, but there is amplug AC30. Is it realy brilliant, or maby there's not enough of low freqs, or anything else bad about tone? I'm not not solo player, so low end matters much for practice
    Thank you
  11. kerya_z

kerya_z

up, maby some one can tell, thanks
  12. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

+1000

I use mine every day and love the thing.
  13. kerya_z

kerya_z

ok, guys. I've bought amplug AC30. It makes a lot of high freqs, but there is tone knob on amplug and another one on the bass =) It Has a little-little overdrive I can't get rid of. Well, any way, I can practice at my girl's place or anywhere. I'd like to check "amplug BASS", but amplug AC30 works fine for me.
  14. LiamPodmore

LiamPodmore

Just get a short Jack Extension cable and fasten it you your strap.

Liam
  15. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

It is *VERY* handy! I have had one for over a year (the bass version), and I use it all the time. It is great for practicing along with my iPod. The music comes through my headphones, as well as the sound of my bass, and you can adjust the volumes of both so that the volume of your bass is just right with the music.

It allows me to practice anytime day or night without anyone hearing me.

This gizmo was a great invention. Highly recommended! ...and worth every penny of the $50 it cost me.
  16. Ole Rumblekat

Ole Rumblekat

I've had one for over a year. It's an OK practice tool, but I can't get much volume out of mine without a lot of distortion. Keeps the house quiet at 3 a.m. though.
  17. kerya_z

kerya_z

Ole, try another headphones. The sensitivity and impendance matter. Some headphones do such way you say, some work better
  18. RBetoGT

RBetoGT

any other reviews on this one?

sounds interesting and handy :D
  19. MrUsefulAlien

MrUsefulAlien Supporting Member

+1
    kind of an old thread, but whatever.
    this thing is awesome, when i was travelling around it was the best practice tool. lots of people i met wondered about it, and thought it was a great little gadget.
    ipod+bass+amplug = winner
  20. XXWoodmanXX

XXWoodmanXX

I like my Bass amPlug, but as of late, it's been squeaking/squawking and killing me with feedback, as soon as I turn it on. Is that due to dying batteries, maybe??