1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vox DelayLab

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DeltaPhoenix, Jun 6, 2012.

1. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Anybody seen/checked it out yet? I recently let my TimeLine go because of some strong bass GAS. I have a pedal that may not be needed in the near future, if I sell it, I could have the funds for one of these. I need some delay in my life...
    Anyways, this pedal looks to take on DL-4 and DD-20 pedals, and beat either one out, for the most part, I am sure each of those pedals does something this one can't or does it better.
    I like the idea of presets, the ability to stomp a button and modulate the delay being used. 30 types of delay, of course I would use maybe 7 types. The ambient delay reminded me of the ICE mode (oh my beloved ice) on the TimeLine.
    Anybody else interested in this beast?
    Korg did a lot the work under the hood on this unit and I dig Korg stuff in general so that is encouraging.
    Here is a link if you need one http://www.voxamps.com/pedals/delaylab/

Most of the demos suck, but I don't think it is the units fault.
  2. DeltaPhoenix

Uh...is this "On the cutting edge" for TB? I figured somebody would know something, at least "yeah my guitar player has one..."
  3. Andy Will

Andy Will

Think it's too new as it's just been released. Might be a couple of weeks until the first G.A.S. victim lets us know more details. ;)

Thankfully my Timeline just arrived here at work so, I'm covered for a few days at least! haha!
  4. DeltaPhoenix

You are correct sir, it is brand new. Enjoy your TimeLine, I miss mine some...
  5. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

The market seems to be a little saturated with SUPER DELAYS like this. Why should someone choose this over the Timeline or the Timefactor? I'd be really interested to hear the opinion of someone who has had the pleasure of trying them all out.
  6. Andy Will

Andy Will

Cheers mate! Will make sure to make some delayed runs in your honour! ;)

One thing against the Vox is that it looks pretty big/bulky which could put a lot of potential buyers off. Luckily is a bit smaller than the Origin effects Cali 76 compressor I was gassing over!

To Eskimo:
    Think Vox have taken a good step at making a super-delay at around half the price of the Eventide and Strymon units (both of which I own/have owned). From reading the specs of the Vox, I still know which I would prefer! :)
  7. DeltaPhoenix

Yeah price is the main reason I could see. The TimeLine is the best IMO. Like I said, I sold mine to help pay for a bass. I am definately thinking about getting another in the Fall. The one thing that kind of burns me up is that to get full functionality from the TimeLine requires buying a $150 controller, so $600 wrapped up in delay/looper is a hard pill to swallow sometimes. But nothing else short of some VSTs can do what the TimeLine can, I really miss that Ice mode. I wish Strymon would take Ice, Filter, Ducking, Dual, Pattern, Reverse, Swell, and Regular Digital Delay from the TL, make it a somewhat smaller unit, keep the Midi and sell it for $300. That would be plenty enough for me.
  8. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    This Vox thing is a lot of fun. I don't have a lot of delay experience outside of owning an El Capistan for a short bit as well as a Dispatch Master, but this seems to work well and sound rather decent. Definitely good enough for anything I would want to do with it. Would be interesting to hear what it sounds like next to a Timeline, but since I don't really need a delay, I can't imagine ever picking up something that expensive. The looper here is pretty simple to use. Having never used a "real" looper before and not having read the instructions, I was able to do this on the first take:

I can already tell this is going to be a lot of fun, though there is so much here its going to take me a while to get my head around how everything functions. Might need to bring a second expression pedal into the mix for the DelayLab as well.

[​IMG]
  9. DeltaPhoenix

What a big pedal! I look forward to hearing what you think when you wrap your head around it some more.
  10. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Nice video man. Great board too!

How does the Timeline compare in size (If you can tell)?
  11. DeltaPhoenix

I would say the Vox may be a tiny bit bigger, but not much bigger.
  12. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    According to the websites, the Vox is over 4 inches wider and about almost 1.5 inches deeper!
  13. DeltaPhoenix

Damn, I was thinking wider, but now I can see that it is deeper too. Damn 4 inches...that VOX IS HUGE!
  14. DeltaPhoenix

Well, i think I am going to take the plunge on this and order one this weekend.
  15. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

It looks DL4 size big to be honest.
  16. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Any update on this purchasing mine tomorrow after my work end :):)