Vox head phone amp anyone try one??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by penguineman, Feb 1, 2014.

1. penguineman

penguineman

Ok I need a head phone amp or I guess not need one but would like to get one to use for practice late at night. I think it would be easier than trying to use a little 15w peavey practice amp I have since my big amp doesn't have a headphone jack on it. and having cords running to and from and fighting to keep them outta my way plus needing a extension on my already long head phones cord. has anyone tried one or have one that they use?? what are your thought pros and cons?
  2. dubhnight

dubhnight

yes they are good get the bass one. the two issues are that the batteries seem to run out quite quickly and you can't adjust the tone, which is by default is quite bass heavy. still very good for practicing however.
  3. MiJaKo

MiJaKo Supporting Member

I got one before they came out with the bass model and even the guitar one does the trick. (I got mine for the same reason you're looking.) I can even dial in some fuzz that sounds very natural.
  4. bassteban

bassteban

I have one and quite like it
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

I have one. I live on the 21st floor of a building in Chicago so I am careful with my neighbors.

It works ok with my Bose head phones but I couldn't hear it at all with ear buds.
  7. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap] Supporting Member

Have one, love it. Great little tool for a reasonable price. The stereo aux-in jack is a very nice touch.

As Jefff suggests, your headphones make a huge difference in the amp's utility. I recommend full-size headphones, like Sony MDR7506's.
  8. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    I thought it sucked but that was a few years ago. MAybe they've improved it. Just one man's input.
  9. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Love mine. Battery will last a long long time if, in addition to turning it off, you also completely unplug it when not in use. Get comfortable over the ear headphones, you'll need them for extended use.
  10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Did you ever consider something like the Tascam bass trainer? I have the MP-BT1 and it might be perfect for what you need. Not only can you enhance the bass line for whatever songs you upload to it to learn, but you can cut the bass and play along. Built-in tuner, plenty of bass effects, and it has a rechargeable battery. I use it as a practice amp because it does everything headphones amps do and a whole lot more. There are two of them on ebay right now, along with this CD version.

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=181315793140
  11. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

There are a lot of options if you do some research.

Unless for some reason you are already set on Vox.
  12. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    Love mine, perfect price for a piece of plastic
  13. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

The Vox Amplug for bass low cost but cheaply made with poor sound. This Korg is way better:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...ra-mini-pxmini-guitar-multi-effects-processor
  14. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

15. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap] Supporting Member

The big advantage of the Vox is that it plugs into your bass directly - it makes your practice setup compact and portable (I just walk around the apartment while I'm playing). The tradeoff is that the audio quality is so-so and it doesn't do anything else - something like the Pandora is useful for more than just amplifying your headphones. A direct plug-in headphone amp is useful, a mini effects processor is useful, and a fancier headphone amp is useful. It all depends on what you want/need from the product in question.
  16. penguineman

penguineman

the Pandora looks cool I'll have to do more research on them before I buy anything. I like the vox because it is small and compact and I wouldn't have a bunch of cords hanging all over but the pandora looks like it has some great features. and a lot more options avalible with it.
  17. Sorado71

Sorado71 Supporting Member

The Vox unit has worked great for me. Really good to have when you're practicing late at night in a hotel room!