1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Vox Saturn IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by L1nt84, Apr 9, 2014.

1. L1nt84

L1nt84 Supporting Member

So... I just joined Talkbass, as I have never come across it before, and I must say, it is great to have a site devoted to the only hobby that I have been so devoted to for half of my life. Great stuff. Being that I have just joined, this would be my inaugural post...

My buddy's dad was unloading a lot of his vintage gear, and I came across this Vox Saturn IV bass. I have been able to find a little bit of info on it, but not a ton on its value or how useful it is. He was asking $300 for it (along with a small 15 watt Vox combo amp to go with it), but it had a lot of cracks and dings in the finish. I went ahead and gambled on it, as these appear to be a little on the rare side.

Would anyone mind taking a few looks at the pictures of it, and give me your opinion as to whether I made a good decision or not? I feel it was something that I could not pass on, but still had some reservations...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

I owned one at one point. (I'm a Colin Moulding/XTC freak) 300 is a great deal, if it's not falling apart. The pickup sounds great. The intonation is wonky past the 12th fret. The neck is pencil thin. Great 60's hollowbody tone for recording. Great with compression. Anyway, you got a great deal. Play it! Oh.... and welcome to TalkBass!!

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

For $300.00 you did well.

TD

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    What TD says. He KNOWS his Vox!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

$300 for a Saturn that's playable is an AWESOME deal! Last time I found a Vox of that vintage it was an Apollo IV (same bass but with slightly more elaborate electronics) and they wanted $1000!

7. L1nt84

L1nt84 Supporting Member

Awesome. I figured as much.

so now I am tasked with finding a case for this thing. Any advice as to what I should be looking for?

also, after jamming on some Beatles tunes with my band last night, I now realize how important compression is for this particular bass. Any recommendations on a decent comp pedal that would be easy on the pocket?

8. nagarjuna

nagarjuna

MXR/Dunlop make good pedals. Nothing is going to sound like an old tube rackmount compressor but they will work. As for a case, I would look for some kind of bag. A hard case may be tough to find. Good luck. ;)

9. L1nt84

L1nt84 Supporting Member

Thanks. Yea, I recently purchased a MXR envelope filter, and love it. It so easy to control, and has the exact sound I was looking for.

as far as the case, I went to every single music store in town, and even gig bags wouldn't work. The last shop I went to took measurements, and looks like they wipl have a hard shell custom built for it. That's my hope, at least.

10. mongo2

mongo2

I love those old skinny Vox necks, so much so that I've re-carved a few short scale necks to similar dimensions after I played a Hawk IV. I'm about to start re-carving another tomorrow.