1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Vox stomplab multi-effects processors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Crystalman85, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Last night, I've discovered that vox has released new multi-effects processors for guitar and bass called the stomplab multi-effects processors. since I've found out about these multi-effects processors, I've been kinda curious about them. looking at the list of effects, amp and cab models that it provides reminded me of the korg ax series. and I since vox is from the makers of the korg company based in the u.k, It might sound similar to the korg ax series. anywho, I am thinking about purchasing one and see how it is and I would most likely would record sound samples of it just like I did with the zoom b3 and the deltalab dbfx1. here's the link to the vox stomplab multi-effects processors.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/pedals/stomplab/

I did spot some youtube clips of the vox stomplab bass multi-effects processor. one clip seems decent and the other clips were a little bit of a mess. but I think I can do it better justice by purchasing one and record sound samples of it. in case anyone here is not familiar with the sound samples I do, here's the link to my soundclick website.

www.soundclick.com/crystalman85

2. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

got the stomplab 1B, but it'll probably never be used live. use it mainly for headphone amp, hell it's much cheaper than a korg pandora px4 and only $10 more than a vox amplug. small size, fits in the front pocket of my bass gigbag

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

It seems to me that they are simply rehoused (maybe slightly tweaked) Korg AX series. In which case, although decent, they are quite old technology now.

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I would of figured that it's pretty decent and I would of figured that it could possibly be a tweaked-up version of the korg ax series of multi-effects processors. but still, I would like to purchase one and see how it is. I am a fan of the korg ax series, so I would like to check out vox's take on of the korg ax series. I'll bet it sounds pretty cool.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fleizenkruz

fleizenkruz

Sounds cool... for a headphone amp :D

Just like any other multi-effects, the overdrive/distortion part is always the weakest. I would use the modulation effects (phaser/flanger/chorus/etc) on this one for live gigs, but not the OD/Dist.

But hey, don't read my words, go ahead and try it yourself

another note : there's a patch that sounds VERY similar to a soundblox Multiwave Bass Distortion :D

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

It is typical that many people would say that the overdrive/distortion channels are usually weak, but it think that depends on how you set it up on a patch. and also it's a mixed opinion kind of thing. I'm definitely into distortions and modulation effects and I will test out for myself on how it sounds. also I will be recording sound samples of the vox stomplab just to show how it sounds. this would be my 7th bass multi-effects processor to record sound samples. I will be buying one sometime next week and I will let you know when the sound samples will be uploaded.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I have seen only a few youtube clips of the vox stomplab and this clip is by far the most decent clip. all the other clips was from someone who just makes noise and doesn't seem to do better justice on the vox stomplab. and one is from vox itself mentioned the stomplab series, but they only did one bass demo. here's the decent clip of the vox stomplab 2b.

Even though there are a few youtube clips on the vox stomplab, I still plan to buy one and record sound samples of it. judging from the clip, I think it sounds pretty decent.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

There was a clip I've looked up on youtube on the vox stomplab 2b and one of the patches does sound like the soundblox multiwave bass distortion. personally, I think the multiwave sounded more like a bass synth than a bass distortion. even though the multiwave does do normal bass distortion sounds. and indeed I will try one for myself. not only will I try one for how it is for live performances, but also for how it is for recording. also I think the distortions would sound more decent if it was adjusted in a certain way. other than that, I will buy one and judge for myself.

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I was just looking at those in Bass Player Magazine I was wondering also.

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I was wondering about them too. I do plan to buy one just out of curiosity.

12. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    PiccoBass Dealer
    I wish they didn't make the bass one red.

13. camionero

camionero

hi everyone, i recently bought the vox stomp lab IIB,but i am having a really hard time figuring out how it works, the manual of instruccions isv ery incomplete, as well the vox webpage.
    i need to know if everyone knows where i can find some sort of a more complete manual, describing the list of effects featured in this pedal, how to edit them, etc...
    as i said, the manual and the vox webpage offers almost no information on that subject

thanks a lot beforehand

14. olipaulo

olipaulo

Camionero, I just bought a IIB, and it came with a user manual. If not, you can find it in the product page, in the Vox website. The effects list is just at the end of the manual.

One thing that's not in it, and I still didn't figured out, is a way to simply create a blank sound, with everything turned off, as a start point to explore and create my own sounds. Any of you guys knows how to do it?

15. olipaulo

olipaulo

Well, today I got some time to dig into it. The good news is that I know how to clean a sound, it's just going effect by effect, and turning everything off, one by one...
    The bad news is that it clips very easily, distorting the sound. Maybe with a passive or single battery powered bass it works fine, but with my 18v Status, the sound is just not good enough.
    To play at home, through headphones, works fine, but I wouldn't take it to play live. The bypassed sound is not even near as the sound running direct through just a cable.
    I'm selling mine...

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Oh so it clips easily with an active bass with an 18-volt circuitry. I'm guessing it also clips with high-output basses. the same thing happens to me when I once had a deltlab dbfx1 bass multi-effects processor. I tested it out with my schecter stiletto 5-string bass and it kept clipping. but it doesn't do that with my passive peavey millennium bass and my Ibanez soundgear bass. I originally was going to buy a vox stomplab 1b bass multi-effects processor just out of curiosity, but now that you've mention clippings, I think I'll have to pass on that. thanks for the heads-up on that minor drawback.

17. vampirou

vampirou

hello everyone

very interesting thread, thanks

I just acquired a new stomplab IIb and although I find it quite easy to use to change effects, I'm still stuck on the amp and drive aspect : I do know how to change lo, hi, mid and clean, overdrive, disto and fuzz but cannot switch between amp models. what's the button combination to pick them ?

If anyone could help, I'd be most grateful.

Thank you.

18. olipaulo

olipaulo

When you change the first knob to POP 1 [Amp/Drive], you get to change the amps with the Effect type buttons (arrows up/down) (check the codes in the end of the manual). The cabs are at the ROCK 2 position.

19. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Okay I was just thinking. I've notice that there are many youtube clips on the vox stomplab Ib/IIb. only one clip is decent, while the other clips don't seem to do this pedal justice. so considering that I'm the only guy on talkbass who was able to do certain multi-effects processors justice by recording sound samples of them and post them on soundclick, I have decided to purchase the vox stomplab Ib real soon. once I buy one, I will record sound samples of it and post them on soundclick.

20. dunic

dunic

I bought the vox stomplab IB and made a video of the single effects.

I'm uploading another one right now where I go through al the presets.

21. dunic

dunic