1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

VOX White Shadow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AmythestAngel, May 5, 2012.

1. AmythestAngel

AmythestAngel

Hello

I have a VOX White Shadow which says made in Japan on the back. Can anyone tell me anything more about it (when it was made, price etc) as I'm thinking of looking for a new home for her. Sadly I no longer have the time and she deserves to be played. Many thanks.
  2. grisezd

grisezd Supporting Member

What does it look like? Picture?
  3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

White Shadow's were only made for a couple of years (84-85). They came available in Black or White finishes. The Black ones have red binding on them. They were also available as a 5-string and fretless.

Here's a photos of the different versions.

[​IMG]

White Shadows didn't sell well at all so Vox discontinued them and came up with their next generation basses the Custom and Standard.

PM me if you're serious about finding a new home for yours.

TD
  4. AmythestAngel

AmythestAngel

Yeah that's all the info I could find but this one is a four string with frets and is a dark brown wood finish. I'll see if I can get some pics up.
  5. AmythestAngel

AmythestAngel

Hope this helps. I have some more pics if needed.

Attached Files:

• 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      43 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      119.9 KB
      Views:
  6. AmythestAngel

AmythestAngel

Might as well just upload em lol

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      101.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      95 KB
      Views:
  7. AmythestAngel

AmythestAngel

And finally

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      123.6 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      103.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Thornton Davis

Looks like the original finish has been removed and restained.

The ones I've come across have all had factory fretless necks on them.

TD
  9. AmythestAngel

AmythestAngel

That's probably why I can't find any info about it :)

Thanks
  10. Scrapster

Scrapster

I'm not so sure. I have one which was in exactly the same finish but fretless. I have however, removed the finish today and cleaned it up generally.

Attached Files:

11. Scrapster

Scrapster

2 more.

Never did like the finish. A friend of mine gave it to me for a £40 debt about 7 years ago and I have been meaning to work on it for all that time. Today I had a quiet day in work so finally decided to do something with it. I sanded away what I presumed was a dodgy wood stain (although not so sure now after seeing the OP's identical but fretted version). The neck needed work too so the original "Vox White Shadow" has been lost from the headstock, but hey, It looks and feels lots better. After a brief look around online I found there was some info about it on this site amongst others. Hopefully my work has not diminished its value, although it doesn't look like they are worth very much, and as I say, It looks and feels lots better!

Haven't played it in a while but I'm sure it still works. A good sounding guitar If I'm honest.

Would be interested to hear any more that anyone knows about these basses, or hear any other comments anyone has.

Peace all.

Attached Files:

12. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

What do they sound like?
  13. Scrapster

Scrapster

I have never played it through anything decent so hard to say really. Through a small practice amp it sounds lovely with a warm and rounded tone though. Maybe a little on the light side but that may just have been the amp.

It's been some time since I last played it, so after the resto I have just done I'm looking forward to getting some new strings and getting on it again. Will try and remember to post an update afterwards.
  14. Scrapster

Scrapster

By the way TD, the pictures you posted are of the "M Series". I wonder if anyone has any more info on these non-M Series basses?
  15. Scrapster

Scrapster

Picture to fit the whole bass in.

..and shameless bump to see if anyone else owns / knows anything more about these.

Attached Files:

16. Thornton Davis

You mean on the Standard (Model 3504) and the Custom (model 3002)?

TD
  17. Scrapster

Scrapster

Hi TD,

I can find info on the M series, and the standard and custom (shown in these pictures), but info on the bass I have seems to be scarce. It was made in japan, and is very similar to the fretted version in this thread. The finish is the same, and before I sanded the neck the headstock bore the same "Vox White Shadow" label. Although similar to the M series in look, it is different, and I can't seem to find anything on it at all. The fretted bass in this thread is the only example of a similar bass I can find anywhere, and I was hoping that someone somewhere might have one the same fretless version as mine. I am interested in its value (although I'm not looking to sell it), and I would love to know what year it was made and what materials it is made from (I'm not good at working out types of wood!)

Thanks in advance if anyone can shed anymore light on this!

Attached Files:

18. peter204

peter204

Sorry that this reply is to an old thread (I've only just joined this group), but hope it helps.

I have a Vox White Shadow fretless in dark brown, just like the one in the picture posted here. This is the original finish and I've seen two or three the same over the years.

I bought it secondhand in the late 1980s. It wasn't very expensive and I thought that I'd swap it for something better if I got on with playing fretless. When I came to change it I couldn't find anything within my price range that was as nice to play. The trouble was that the sound wasn't very good - quite dull and woolly. So I had a set of EMG pickups fitted. They cost more than the bass!! But they were definitely worth it and transformed the Vox into a really lovely sounding bass.

I haven't played the Vox for well over 15 years, but have just got it out, cleaned, polished and restrung it. I've just changed a Trace Elliot combo (the original TE, not the modern rubbish) to a Hartke HA3500 and HX112 which I collected yesterday. I've just plugged the Vox into the new amp and the sound is very nice - am definititely going to start using it on stage again (after a lot of practice - I've only been playing a fretted bass for all those years).

Cheers, Peter
  19. Instruhaag

Instruhaag

Can anyone tell me where I can find the serial number
    on a Vox White Shadow 5-string bass?
    How many are there out there?
    Any idea of the value of such instrument?
    Thanks,
    Tom

20. Thornton Davis

I don't know if the factory put serial numbers on them or not, but check around in the usual spots to see if you can find one. Like the back of the headstock, on the bridge, on the input jack plate and inside the back body cavity.

These were only made for 2 years, so there probably weren't many of them made. They were discontinued due to poor sales.

Can't give you a value without seeing the instrument. But most Vox White Shadow basses sell for between $300-$450If you're considering unloading a 5-string VWS bass PM me as I've been looking for one.

TD