VSTs for Bass Tone

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by IPYF, Jan 16, 2013.

1. IPYF

IPYF

Currently I'm using amplitube 3 to construct my bass sound recordings and while it's good for some applications i just don't feel that I've managed to get a good tone out of it.

What VST programs have others tried for bass, and what can you recommend?

I used GR5 for a bit and didn't think it did a good bass tone at all.

Currently recording using Reaper and a M-Audio Mobile-Pre. I'm not a moneybags but I would like to be able to nail down a fatter more convincing bass tone.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

If you're having problems with all the plugins then I suspect you're not getting a good signal out of your bass into the plugin. Or maybe some routing problem in your daw to or from the plugin.

Are you getting a good solid DI sound out of your bass?

Passive Bass outputs are line level, nor are they typical mic levels.
    Active basses are closer to line levels.

Do you have a bass sample library? Play that through your IK or GR and see how you can make them sound. If so, it just may be your own bass levels are off.

Also listen to your sound in a mix with other instruments.

Next would be what are you listening with? Headphones, Earbuds, Monitors?
    Monitors are going to be the toughest to get a good sound out of.

For plugins, there are many alternatives, but IK or GR5 are very popular.
    guitarampmodeling.com has many listed

3. bigsnack

bigsnack Supporting Member

I personally have had the best luck with Studio Devil Virtual Bass Amp (the original), as well as Audiffex's GK amp sim. I tried to get good tones out of the others, but those were the two that were the easiest to work with for me. The out of the box preset on the virtual devil is terrific!

4. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Nothing comes close to Ampeg SVX. Seriously. I'm an engineer, and I fool other engineers into thinking I mic'd up a real SVT with it.

To further clarify, I'm NOT a fan of amp sims at all, but this thing just nails the tone. It's awesome. Can't say enough about it, and I use it on virtually all sessions I mix with a DI'd bass.

If you already have a paid version of Amplitube, IK will likely give you some kind of deal for picking it up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. project_c

project_c

markbass mark studio works best for me by far.