VT Bass DI bite switch question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jeffkew, Oct 21, 2013.

1. jeffkew

jeffkew Bass Curious Supporting Member

I've never had a VT bass pedal before, of any generation. I've read a lot about them on this site, though, so I'm aware of some of the concerns people have had in the past.

Specifically, I noticed that many people had concerns about needing to turn down the treble knob significantly on their v1 pedals to reduce clankiness.

It seems that a change was made in v2 pedals such that a gradual low pass filter was added when the speaker sim button on these pedals was NOT pushed down, apparently to help with this issue.

My question is about the "bite" button and speaker sim buttons on the new VT bass DI pedal that I just bought. It seems like when I have the bite button engaged, I notice the same hyper-bright condition that people with v1 pedals mentioned.

When I turn off the bite button, the treble is far more controlled, and I can leave the treble knob at noon position with no clankiness.

As far as I can tell, the speaker sim button doesn't seem to add the gradual low pass filter on the VT bass DI as it was on the v2 pedal when the button was NOT selected.

So, I'm wondering, was the gradual low pass filter, which was added on the v2 pedal, given it's own on/off control in the form of the "bite" switch? One thing that makes me consider this is that the manual states that the sample SVT, fliptop settings, etc are all intended to be used with the bite switch engaged. So, maybe the gradual low pass filter from the v2 pedal is now engaged by NOT pushing down the "bite" switch?

Hope this makes sense - I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed this?

Maybe Tech21NYC would want to chime in?

Thanks!

2. jeffkew

Another thing I noticed about the VT bass DI is that the mid frequency really doesn't seem to be at 500Hz as stated in the manual. It seems much more like 1KHz. Wonder if this is just a misprint?

3. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

The mids are at 1k, it is a misprint and they've caught it now.

4. jeffkew

Thanks for the info on the mid control. I wonder if anyone else has any ideas about the bite button on the VT bass DI?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The "bite" button on the VT Bass DI adds the subsonic filter and presence boost that is part of the VT Bass' signature sound. When bypassed, the subsonic filter and presence boost is removed. The sound now becomes more full range.

The speaker sim on the VT Bass DI is the same circuit that is on the original and V2 units. When bypassed however, there is no high cut filter like on the V2 pedals.

These new features enable you to obtain sounds that are not available on the V1 and V2 VT Bass pedals.

Keep in mind that the VT Bass and DI version are designed as amp emulators for direct use but can also be used with a traditional bass or power amp and speaker. Always consider what you are plugging the pedal into. A mixing board is usually a flat response platform whereas a bass amp may have its own EQ contour and many bass cabs are optimized for bass guitar use.

7. jeffkew

Thanks for the reply!

So, just to be clear, if I want to make my VT Bass DI sound like & use essentially the same circuitry as the v1 and v2 units, I would have the "bite" button engaged / pressed down, correct?

With the bite button engaged, what is approximate frequency center and increase in decibels of the presence boost?

8. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Yes, just keep the bite switch and speaker sim engaged and it will sound the same as the V1 and V2 pedals in the stock setting.

The mid frequency is centered at 1 K not 500 Hz which is a mistake in the manual.

The presence boost is a 12dB boost. You can dial that out with the High control as that can also cut by 12dB even though the frequencies are not the same. You will get better and tighter distortion tones by utilizing the Bite and speaker emulation on the pedal. Those controls bypassed will probably be more useful for the player that really wants a bigger and warmer clean tone.

9. Randy S

Randy S

I plant to buy a Tech 21 VT Bass DI as soon as another piece of gear sells. And I currently am playing through another brand I love.

The good folks at Tech 21 have stood behind their products when they didn't really have to, in my experience. There are very few examples of equal customer service in this industry.

A tip of the hat to Mr. Barta.:bassist:

10. jeffkew

11. sideFX

sideFX

Resurrecting this thread in order to ask whether the mid frequency on the VT Bass v2 pedal is centered at 1 KHz as well. Or is it at 500 Hz??

12. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
  13. LSMFT6

LSMFT6

So the v2 is at 500Hz and the VTDI is at 1KHz?

14. sideFX

sideFX

Thanks for the reply!
    A good friend of mine owns the v2, and I just bough the DI, can't wait to a/b them side by side to find out how much different they sound!

Btw what was the thought process behind the decision to change the center mid frequency on the DI to 1 kHz?

15. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    The mid is centered at 1kHz on all the VT Products. Sorry for the confusion. It's a mistake in the Character series manual. You still have additional midrange control with the Character control.