1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

VT Bass DI + Power amp + cab = profit?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cosmonautsix, Feb 18, 2013.

1. cosmonautsix

cosmonautsix

Thinking of getting back into the live thump arena, as opposed to DI + in ears. I play several conferences and a few fly out gigs a year, and have relied on backline or my VT pedal. Now with the VT DI coming out, just wondering, is anyone running a variation of this combo?

I used to have a GK 800 RB into a Ampeg 8x10 back in the day, and backline will often have ampeg svt into a 4x10 or 2 4x10s. I need something from small to probably a 4x10. Maybe the SVT-210AV x 2?

Any help is appreciated, I have learned so much here already and run this search around 10 times getting various advise and results (mostly the VT pedal does not have enough output to really let a power amp shine, hopefully that is different with the VT DI or maybe the VT rack?)

Thanks in advance!
  2. rpsands

rpsands

Only a few power amps really work well with the VT bass's minimal output.

The Carvin DCM series and the Peavey IPR are where it's at in modern stuff.

There are a few Crest power amps that can change an internal jumper and get down to .775 v and those would work great too.

* The best dollars in budget cabs right now are probably the Ampeg PF115-HE and the GK MBE410.
  3. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

The new VT DI has a +10dB switch for the 1/4" output, so it should have plenty of juice to drive a power amp.
    As for cabs, the Carvin BRX line is inexpensive and really good.
  4. cosmonautsix

cosmonautsix

Awesome, I'll check out the BRX line. Looks like the 2x10 or 4x10 are damn affordable. The 3 way cab looks pretty interesting as well.
  5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

I often use a Tone Hammer pedal sized preamp to drive my QSC power amp. Works very well with good tone, loud and nice DI.

Alternatively you could always pick up an ART Tube MP, which is quite cheap, and boost the signal output of your VT.
  6. cosmonautsix

cosmonautsix

I've been looking at the tone hammer as well, how would you describe the tone? I'm playing a epi thunderbird V pro (for now) and do like the ampeg 'tone'.
  7. eight0eight

eight0eight

The VT Bass Deluxe also has the 1/4 inch out boost which should work to drive a power amp if I'm not mistaken. Seems the advantages of the new DI are the bite control (which is a subsonic filter and a presence boost) defeat able speaker emulation, and the mix control. The deluxe gets you multiple presets and an effects loop and the same basic features for not a lot more money. Also I bet you could pick up a used deluxe here on TB for cheaper than a DI new.
    Just a thought.
  8. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Never used one of the VT - pedals. But for the cab just go and take a close look at the GenzBenz Focus-line. Nice 410''-cabs, not expensive, fine - sounding.

Ciao

Uwe
  9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I've not used the Tone Hammer in pedal form, but I had the micro head version of it. It has its own character tone, very different from an Ampeg IMO. Not better or worse, but I think someone with the Ampeg sound in mind would be disappointed, or at least feel the need to keep looking.

The 210av cabinets are a must for any Ampeg fan. You just have to make the call on whether they fit your power needs.
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Its got a bump in the lower mids and a slight dip in the upper mids. Sounds very good to my ears. Some have said its not too far from the db750, which is a legendary amp for tone. I've never heard one so I can only pass on what others have said. However the tone is very good, and it has a mid sweep which is very handy. It also is pushed by 18v wall adapter which means it has enough juice to drive virtually any power amp. It really is a nice unit and I really dont think there is another pedal sized preamp that can touch it in terms of features AND tone. Its not nearly as colored as the Tech 21 stuff. In my opinion that huge amount of colour does get a bit tiresome after awhile. The TH doesnt have that problem at all. I have owned the original VT and I liked it. The newer DI version does look appealing, but the Aguilar TH definitely outshines it IMO. One drawback of the TH is that it is quite large and heavy at 2.4LBS for a pedal, if that kind of thing matters to you.

At any rate I definitely recommend giving it a try.
  11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Voltage sensitivity is the spec that will tell you if the power amp will be driven sufficently by a VT bass, I think the VT bass can five 1v max. Got to bear in mind for the most part power amps aren't like bass amps with all the volume control in the first half of the pot, so you can open them up all the way.
  12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

I use a VT Deluxe into a QSC 3002 power amp, plenty of signal to drive it and the QSC is one of the "worst" as far as input sensitivity goes. The VT Deluxe has a 10db bump switch on the 1/4" out.... plenty of juice.

I run mine into two Ampeg 210AV's, and it works and sounds great.
  13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

Spot on to my experience as well. Love my TH.