1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

VT Bass DI vs Vintage Microtubes Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dan_cmj, Feb 17, 2014.

1. dan_cmj

dan_cmj

So currently my pedalboard consists of:

• Korg Pitchblack Tuner
    • MXR M87 Bass Compressor
    • Darkglass Microtubes B3K

I'm looking to add a Preamp with a DI at the end of my chain so I can connect directly and shape my own tone even if I connect directly to the main mixer on gigs.

I'm looking for some grit on my sound, I'm aiming for some middy Ampeg SVT CL sound. I was reading that the VT BASS DI is some sort of SVT emulator but the demos of the Vintage Microtubes sound so good and gritty, that warm sound is so good.

I'ven't seen many reviews about the VT Bass DI and considering this sound and this as something I imagine sounding like, obviously the VMT can do it, but is the VTBDI awesome enough to do that sort of clean middy frit? Considering the fact that the VMT is 2x the price of the VTBDI,

Is it worth it?

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The VTBassDI can definitely do the second one, and IMO probably better than the VMT. It excels at that sort of high mid clanky raucousnous. It also does the somewhat compressed B15 ish thing at lower gain/character settings, but not quite to the style of the first clip. The VT will compress quite a lot into farty drive territory if you don't dial up the character and convert to the clank.

Of course, the VMT can do the first clip much better than the VTBassDI :) It's rolled off highs and mid drive are its hallmarks, and I never got my VMT to fart. The addition of the EQ section on the VM Deluxe may get more of the highs, too, but I can't imagine it doing the grindy clank thing.

Either would probably be easy to sell if one didn't work for you.

3. dan_cmj

dan_cmj

Alright, i still need to trythem both, i was also thinking about instead of buying the Vintage Deluxe buying both the VT & The VMT, its almost the same price but still i dont think its necessary... Anyone with experience knows if the vt badd can sound like the first one? Obviously its not the same but something alike! Thanks!

4. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

I've owned both the VT Bass and the VMT. I found the VMT to be much more flexible (and subtle, when needed). If you want "SVT!", then the VT is the obvious choice. But, I ended up selling mine and am very happy with the VMT. With the deluxe/DI version of each, YMMV somewhat...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Randy S

Randy S

The Aguilar Tone Hammer would also do what you are looking for.

(in my opinion)

7. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

Hands down Vintage Microtubes Deluxe over Vt bass DI. Had both and just got a VM Deluxe which I prefer. More open and more harmonic content due to the eq. Microtubes pedals generally provide great harmonic content. Just my opinion. VT deluxe is good as well but it is a mater of preference and they are both different.

8. telecopy

telecopy

I am very interested in getting a Darkglass Vintage Microtubes. Can someone help me determine if I should get the base pedal or the Deluxe? Is it worth $140 more bucks to have the EQ and DI?
    I don't currently have a DI or pre-amp pedal. I have a GK 400RB IV head.

9. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    Check out the thread in my signature for some comparison of both (although this was before the VMT Deluxe came out). That Blink 182 clip would be super easy to do with the VT.