1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Vt bass in front of GK head

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thecalv10, Sep 25, 2012.

1. thecalv10

thecalv10

Will running a vt bass out in front of a gk make it sound like an ampeg? I love the cleans of GK, but from time to time really like the rumble of an ampeg, looking to get the best of both worlds!
  2. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

I have been running my VT bass in front of an 800RB eq on the GK mostly flat, slight cut on high mids & treble with the speaker sim off on the VT & the fliptop settings. Sounds great very Ampegy & still has the GK vibe to it. To me its the best of both worlds. Just won a Para driver on ebay tonite, that was my previous favorite Tech 21 offering, I just need to try it out again with my current setup to see if it will upstage the VT V2 pedal.
  3. thecalv10

thecalv10

Cool, would you say it is a good substitute for an ampeg, or is it just somewhat ampeg like?
  4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I have a 700RB-II and I would say
    You need to use the dials in very small increments if you do try one. A small rotation can produce a significant change depending on the other settings.
  5. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

700RB II + VT Bass v2 user here. It gets close, but it retains the gk character too. It gets fatter, warmer and with a great tube like breakup with VT, but it's still quick, punchy, growly GK. Personally, I love it. I highly recommend having the speaker sim off. My VT is never off, even when I slap. It just gives me more of a vintage character to my tone.
  6. thecalv10

thecalv10

Sounds good! Seems like that might be great for me!
  7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Another thing to consider is using an A/B box and using the VT Bass in the efx loop of your amp. This way you can use your amp's preamp section and the VT Bass independently.

To get the most out of the VT Bass you need to send it to an amp that is fairly neutral to flat response. When you send it to an amp's preamp section that EQ will interact with the EQ of the VT Bass. By going through the efx loop you bypass the amp's EQ section and go straight to the power amp depending upon the given amp's efx loop design.

One note, is that on some of the GK's the boost circuitry is after the efx send and this will come into play if you use that control.
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

It sounds like a great combination of 2 different pieces of technology.
  9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Yes, more or less.
  10. mouthmw

You can definitely get the "best of both worlds" result. But then again, it depends on what you perceive as the best of GK and the best of Ampeg. :)
  11. jomcc26

jomcc26

This is my plan- i'm looking get get more punk and classic tones out of my Backline, and then hopefully upgrage to an MB500 or (waaaaaayyy out there) MB Fusion
  12. wshines1892

wshines1892

It'd be an approximation of Ampeg. It's close enough to fool most everyone in the audience. The new ones have the speaker sim bypass, which I'm quite jealous of. I have the older style, but it still sounds great. The "flatest" you can get it to sound for a base line tone it unity level, drive at 0, Character Bass and Mids at noon, and treble at 9. At this setting, the change is very subtle, but you can use it as a starting point to start tweaking.

It's not identical to having the real amps, but your other option is to buy an SVT and put it on an A/B switcher between rigs. For price, weight, and sound though, there's no question what the best option is.
  13. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    On the VT Bass pedal with the speaker sim engaged flat response will be:

Low 1:30
    Mid 1:30
    High 9:30-10

The Level control has no effect on the EQ. High levels of the Drive control will increase upper harmonics.

Flat response with the speaker sim disengaged:

Low 1
    Mid 12:30
    High 11:30
  14. Timi

Timi

I've used the VT and Leeds into my GK MB500 and been impressed the results. On the other hand I really don't like them with my Orange head. I am using Ampeg or similar cabs and that's where a lot of the "Ampeg sound" comes from in my opinion, unsure how you might find it with cabs that have a different character.

I run the treble on whichever pedal very low and still find the tone quite bright (particularly the VT) with the speaker sim on, but it needs to be on for me to get a DI tone I like. Have tried going into the fx return which dulls some of the brightness but something about it didn't sound right, been ages since I tried it so can't remember specifics. So yeah, good but a bit bright.

Tech21, how about a version with two outputs, one with speaker sim the other without ;)
  15. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

Yup.
  16. Nerevar

Nerevar

I have a VT Bass V2 that I run in front of my 800rb and its awesome. Not quite an Ampeg though.
  17. simplebassliner

simplebassliner

First of all sorry for my foolish question. But in which switch position does the speaker sim engaged? I like the sound when the switch are pressed in.
    Another question, as I just bought the vt, is it normal if the speaker sim switch made a small cracking sound when you pressed it while the bass being played?
  18. mouthmw

The speaker sim is on when the switch is pressed in.
    Not sure about the crackling sound, mine doesn't do that, but then again, I don't exactly play the bass while I'm pressing the speaker sim switch.
  19. snowblinder

snowblinder

I run the original VT (without the speaker simulation defeat button) into the front of my GK 800RB with Ampeg 8x10 cab and have been doing so for a few years now. Before that I had one of the MTI-era Ampeg SVT heads, which I played numerous shows with and used for countless hours of band practice. Let me tell you, as someone who had the opportunity to A/B the real deal SVT next to the GK w/VT pedal for extended periods of time through the same cab.....they sound really close. I'd go so far as to say I actually prefer the tone of the 800RB w/VT. As someone mentioned above, it gets that tube-like Ampeg sound everyone loves, but has a bit more of a tight and punchy response to it. I personally love it.

The 800RB with VT can also get considerably louder than any SVT I've ever been fortunate enough to have played, from my MTI to a 70's Magnavox to a 90's Classic. If for any reason you would need that sort of power.

On a side note, I'm really wanting an Oxford pedal to throw into the mix, to be able to switch back and forth from an Ampeg to an Orange type of sound.

Anyway....the short answer to the OP's question is: basically, yes.
  20. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

I'm not too surprised to hear you say this. Good to know, though.