VT bass or Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Pills Are Yummy, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I have this VT Bass, and it really kicks ass in terms of getting a good SVT tone....my question is, is it really worth getting the real thing?

I've been GAS'ing HARD for an SVT-CL, but I'm wondering if I should just shell out the money for a Spector instead.

I'm a metal bassist (Thrashcore/new metal) and I play with an 87 Charvel and an Ampeg SVT 450H + VT Bass
  2. rodl2005

rodl2005

It's worth it! If ur young/can handle the weight- the VT does a good job, but it doesn't give u the feel of 300w of all tube goodness.
  3. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Paging JimmyM....;)
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What? I gotta tell you?

:D

I'm a big fan of the VT and other Tech 21 Character pedals. They do a great job for what they are, and I own two of them. But come on!
  5. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Take your rig to the nearest GC and compare it back to back with an SVT CL, then decide for yourself...?

For metal, you should really get yourself an SVT II or SVT 2 Pro, rack mount it and add a bunch of other rack effects, etc... :D
  6. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Actually VTBass + real-deal SVT (or B15) is a great combo!
  7. vgbob

vgbob

Only one cure for GAS.
    Seriously though, you need both.....
    OK, really seriously, I have an SVT that I won't sell, but I also have a Spector Legend Custom that I would. It has the EMG 3band EQ which I actually like better than the tone pump. (also have a rebop) I just don't need two Spectors. PM me if you want to talk. You'll still have money left for an SVT.
  8. silvertones

silvertones

Guy! I'm 61 years old. I used to have the REAL DEAL way back.The GOOD ones but just to heavy for me to lug. The 4x10 box is bad enough.
    MF just sent me a 20% off coupon so I bought a VT Bass. $135
    BTW I play Country and Oldies. So...........
  9. DrowningBrian

DrowningBrian

you can get an awesome 70's svt head for around $1200, the 70's svts sound better IMO. but the svt-cl is no slouch. and a new svt-cl costs about $1600 new.
  10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

What he said!

Compared to the 450H, the SVT CL is going to make you smile for years.....results may vary, but that is my guess.

What cab are you using? The SVT CL requires a 4 ohm or 2 ohm load to work properly.

The VT Bass sounds really good at lower volumes, but I do not hear the power tube crunch/growl from the pedal. A tube power section is needed for that tone - the Classic will do that easily.
  11. silvertones

silvertones

The VT Bass sounds real good.Need to get it out on stage though. My preference of the 2 is still Ampeg SVX.Of course a real SVT would be best. Maybe.Never can tell
  12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I use an RBI. It's nice, but as soon as I can get the scratch together I will be getting either a vintage 300 watt SVT or an older 1600 watt SVT 4 Pro.
  13. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

What about a Darkglass B7K vs. an Ampeg CL?
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sounds good in the demos I've heard, but you're just not going to get the power and drama of the real thing in a pedal. You can get close, but there's a darn good reason Ampeg hasn't discontinued the SVT-CL and VR. Even the guy who builds Darkglass and 3 Leaf pedals owns a few SVT's. That said, that B7K does sound darn good.
  15. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

I'm a metal bassist. I'm looking to get a clangier, more aggressive overdriven tone(but also want to do some grippy vintage tones as well). For me, it seems that just cranking the gain on a cl just seems to get a sabbath/electric wizard tone
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I hear you. For live work, I'd get a pedal. You have to crank an SVT too loud for most venues (yes, even many metal venues) to get that power tube aggression that you're looking for, and then you can still have your clean sound handy when you need it. I'd still do an SVT, though. Ain't a sweeter sound on earth than a nice SVT running clean!
  17. Pills Are Yummy

Pills Are Yummy

Thanks man! I already own an SVT. I suppose the real question being asked here is that with pedals like the VT bass and the darkglass, is it really worth it to carry 100lb heads just for the overdrive?
  18. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Word.
  19. spaz21387

spaz21387

As cool as an svt is you are better off looking into pedals for a grindy sound. with a pedal you can get that overdriven tube sound at a lower volume. Every sound guy is going to make you turn down so whats the point? In portland no sound guy lets us play at the volumes we practice at because their pa systems suck and cant compete with our amps.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yes it is. I run my dirt pedals through my clean SVT or my REDDI and it sounds a good bit better to me than if I run the pedals through a SS amp or a SS DI. Now will your gig suffer if you choose to lighten up with the head? Not if you play well ;) But for me, I may not enjoy the schlep as much, but once I get it set up, I never regret bringing my SVT to gigs.