VT Bass speaker sim vs. Micro Thumpinator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eutgard, May 3, 2011.

1. eutgard

eutgard

I'm interested in SFX Micro Thumpinator which cuts drastically below 30hz frequency.

And My VT Bass (1st ed. which has no speaker sim on/off switch) is always-on fx in my signal chain.

Can the speaker sim of VT Bass replace Micro Thumpinator?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    it's not a direct replacement since the vt starts rolling off at 55 hz. other than that i couldn't tell you the first thing about this micro thumpinator.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd say the speaker sim should do a good-enough job, unless you are hitting it with some extreme suboctave boom sounds. Jimmy, with the Thumpinator the signal level is dead flat down to around 31 Hz, where it drops like a rock off a cliff.
  4. eutgard

eutgard

I'm relieved... :D
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    oh, i was thinking he wanted those freqs below 30hz. never mind ;)
  6. eutgard

eutgard

I was searching for cheap alternative for Micro Thumpinator.

I know, I'm CHEAP ;)
  7. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    All our SansAmp products including the VT Bass have a subsonic filter. It doesn't sound like the Micro Thumpinator is going to accomplish much for you if you run it after the VT Bass.
  8. hallbox

hallbox

Old thread, I know. Just to confirm a couple things:

1. Even the VT Bass models without the speaker sim switch (like mine), will filter subsonics?

2. Would putting a Thumpinator at the front of the signal chain with the VT Bass at the back do something, but just not enough to be worth it the money and space?

My VT Bass Deluxe is last on my pedal board, and from what I read, the Thumpinator seems to be suggested to go at the front so it can clean up the subsonic freqs before the rest of the pedals have to deal with them. Where does the filtering occur in the SansAmp Deluxes? I suppose it probably doesn't change what effects should go in the loop, but I'm curious.
  9. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    There is the subsonic filter in there. It seems that running the Thumpinator either before or after would likely prove redundant. You can give it a try. The filter would be before the efx loop in the Deluxe.