VT Bass users. Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bubbastain, Nov 7, 2012.

1. bubbastain

bubbastain

Just got my VT Bass V2 today. I've been playing with it for the last hour or so. I like it so far but I can't say that I'm satisfied yet. I am using a Epiphone EBM-4 bass tuned to A# F A# D. Bass has active P/J pickups. Going into a Kustom DE300 head and Kustom Groove 8x10 cab. I like the sound I get straight in already. Was wanting a bit more growl though. I will be getting a Boss ODB-3 within the next day or so also for the heavy stuff.

Are you VT users generally using active or passive pickups? Or does it even make a difference? Humbuckers or Singles? I can get a real nice sound straight into the amp(-6db input) with the boost knob on the bass all the way up. With the VT Bass on, I have to turn the Boost knob on the guitar to 50% otherwise it's too boomy. With the Boost knob down to 50% it also sounds better going into the normal input on the amp.

Just wondering what you guys are using with yours. I'm going to try to borrow a Fender Jazz bass to compare.
  2. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

What are your pedal settings? Turning the character knob up will remove some of the wool and add brightness.
  3. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

Don't judge the thing too quickly. Like all sensitive EQs it can take a while to make friends with.
  4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

This guy kind of walks through the Character knob.

(I don't own a VT, I'm just an admirer so far.)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gdavis

gdavis

Sounds like your bass' active circuit gives quite a boost over passive circuits. When I tried my friends VT it sounded fine active, but my active is set up to be about the same level as passive.
  7. bubbastain

bubbastain

Okay, I had to shut down the amp and just take a break for a little bit and go back to it. Second time around is better. That video is great. Probably the main reason why I bought it. I don't get the same drastic sound difference as he does though. The VT does make my tone better, just not as drastic as his in the video. When he first starts playing it just sounds so bad ass. I still want to try it with some passives and run it into the normal input of the amp. I'd say I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's a subtle improvement to my ears.
  8. scottfeldstein

What does it mean that you have the "boost" maxed usually? This is, what, to goose your signal from the active pups? You usually run this maxed, totally dimed? I don't have active pups, but this seems odd to me.
  9. jp grimbass

jp grimbass

That's a pretty excellent video and that pretty much sums up my experience with the VT Bass. I love it and I don't know that I will ever play without it unless I find something better.

Most of the time I am playing a Bongo 5HH through a GK MB210 combo and the amount of crunch I can get with the VT Bass is insane. It also sounds amazing when I dial it back a bit and the sound seems to jump out of my amp at whatever setting I try. It is very touchy though and a small change with any knob can make quite a difference. Be prepared to spend some time to find your 'perfect' sound but it is worth it.
  10. bubbastain

bubbastain

Yeah, my bass has vol, tone, blend and boost knobs. plugging straight in I can turn it up and it sounds huge. I can live without it though.
  11. scottfeldstein

I'll let those with active pickups weigh in on this one. I have passive ones, but an active EQ...and I'm kind of careful how much I boost and cut...mostly because of how it wreaks havoc on the input level of my compressor.
  12. joshmmorrison

joshmmorrison

Both of my basses are active and I run through the VT. For the most part I keep my on bass eq pretty even at mid (no boosts/scoops) then I run the level on my vt bass pretty low because it gets super hot real quick if not.

The "Low" knob on the vt bass seems to run a bit heavy. I'm usually a fan of boosting my lows on my EQ but I don't seem to have a problem getting a great sound with them rolled back quite a bit. I had the same thing before though where the VT gave me a bit too much boom. Rolling back the low to about 11 or 10:30 fixed that problem quite easily though. Messing with that may let ya still get the growl of the VT while not messing too much with the amount of low hugeness that you're already a fan of.
  13. bubbastain

bubbastain

Okay, I just needed a day. I love the VT Bass now. It adds some serious cool tone. Running the knobs pretty close to the SVT style settings except I have the Low and High at Noon and the Character knob at 10:30.
  14. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

Running mine with a passive jazz. Never turn it off, in fact, I've been using it lately as my only preamp bypassing the gk preamp. Fantastic tool, takes a while to learn how to use it to mold your tone. Great breakup tones in it.