VT Bass (version 2) ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TFish, Mar 8, 2011.

1. TFish

TFish

I'm looking to get a VT Bass pedal and I see that Tech 21 is revising the pedal to include a speaker sim defeat switch. I see that Putnam has this mod on his website and I am wondering if any of you VT Bass pedal owners think this is something worth waiting for or should I just go ahead and pick up a used original?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    for me, the original is fine. i wouldn't use the defeat even if i had it. however, on more guitar-oriented pedals like the british, it would be a great thing to have.

3. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Same here.

4. Govier966

Govier966

is a version two coming out or is the deluxe replacing the vt?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jpTron

jpTron

The Putnam mod is a full sim defeat. The tech 21 switch still has some sort of filter after you defeat the sim. Idk what that means to you.

7. TFish

TFish

8. TFish

TFish

I don't know exactly what that means...on the Putnam mod page I can listen to an a/b of the mod and it sounds more like a boost when the speaker is bypassed.

9. jpTron

jpTron

If you want complete, unmolested, untouched sound, get the putnam mod. And he can do other cool stuff to the pedal too.

10. TFish

TFish

That's good to know. Sounds like I'll be picking up an original version 1.

11. TFish

TFish

Just picked one up here in the classifieds!

12. Kosko

Kosko

I just got mine yesterday. It really does seem to be a pretty subtle effect, unless you really crank the drive and wail on the strings. Definitely seems to make the bass seem more alive though, like its a little bit more present in the music. It is a seriously hot though when turning up that drive. I have the level set at like 7 oclock when the drive is past 1. Neat little pedal, I'm looking forard to trying out some new sounds.

13. wshines1892

wshines1892

Uh oh, looks like I'm going to finally pick up an OG VT after the price drop from the new model being released/everyone trying to sell there's to upgrade! :)

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    that's typical. a pedal with that much range of clean to dirty will be very hot when it's in the dirtier positions.

15. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I did the mod myself to the VT Bass and like it for when I'm using the distortion as an effect. It makes for a great contrast to the bypassed signal. It has a lot more bite and mids than with the speaker simulator on. Sometimes I use the VT Bass as my pre-amp and usually in that case I run the speaker simulator circuit. Just a sweet sounding pedal.

16. tech21nyc

tech21nyc

Disclosures:
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The reason for the "boost" when the sim is bypassed completely is that you are removing part of the circuit. On our pedals with the speaker sim bypass there is a 6dB per octave high end roll off that makes it easier to use into an amplifier with it's high end emphasized. The speaker sim is not a simple filter because it tames certain frequencies and accentuates others. With the on board EQ you can pretty much dial the speaker sim out.

With the new pedals there is a mod where you can cut one of the traces and the speaker sim will be bypassed completely. I had a couple of modded pedals at home where the speaker sim could be bypassed without the filter and the "only" use I found for that setting was to go directly into a power amp and even then I found the pedal with the speaker sim "On" worked fine as well. Of course we all hear differently but a complete bypass of the speaker sim does not sound good to us directly into an amp's preamp. If you have an amp with a line out or preamp out try running that with a distorted sound directly into the preamp of another amp and see how it sounds.

17. Musicman20

Musicman20

Any news on this pedal?

Thanks for the input from the Tech 21 guys :)

Im a bit confused as to what the speaker sim defeat does to the tone? What was the reason for the addition?

I have a BDDI, and I want another flavour. At the moment im thinking standard VT Bass...as Ill not use the features so much on the deluxe.

I am going to order (in the UK) in the next week or so, and Im obviously going to ask for V2. Can you please clarify what differences there will be?

Cheers!

18. blr2

blr2

I'm also wondering should I order the V1 or wait for a couple of more weeks and get the V2. If I am to use the pedal as a preamp to a power amp and a bass cab, would it be better without the cab sim? What about if I use it as a tone shaper in front of a bass amp, or as a DI?

19. MrMeacham

MrMeacham

I see that these can be ordered on site. None of the on line stores have them. Does anyone know when these will roll out?

20. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

From what I recall, I heard the Tech21 rep say in another thread that the speaker simulation in the original pedal added some highs when the pedal was placed into the input of the bass head, but not through the FX loop. He said that this was caused by the EQ settings in the head, and the sim defeat switch actually lowered the highs to compensate for this. I may not be 100% right on this. But, I got a Deluxe and when I run it into the input (with the amp's EQ set flat) the treble is insane. Flat treble is around 9 - 10 o'clock, so this maybe is a good idea.

Also, an important thing to keep in mind is that this is a pedal, and though it may send a decent signal to your power amp, it's output level may not be quite as high as your power amp's input sensitivity, which could result in a little loss of power. Buying a mic preamp for $50.00 might be a good idea to help the VT out.

I've sent several messages to Tech21 regarding their Nominal Output Level, and am hopeful they will give me this spec.

21. lesmarshall

lesmarshall Supporting Member

I just got a v.2 ,and I am thinking of returning it. As stated above, the effect of the pedal is very subtle and it seems that all it does is make the tone seems more forward and present. I guess it's supposed to emulate the tone of various vintage Ampegs but since I have never played an Ampeg, I can't tell if it accomplishes this. I bought it thinking I could get a nice tube-like overdrive and grind, but to get anything dirty you have to turn the gain way up and you hear a lot of noise thru the amp ,so IMHO the
    gain tone is not very useable. I guess I was expecting more ,but for the money I am not sure it's worth it just to fatten up and make the tone more present. Has anyone had a different experience? I am using
    it thru a Mark Bass tube 800 with a Berg AE 112 and a Fender Jazz.