1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

VT Deluxe settings when used for D.I.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Catanova, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Catanova

Catanova

I have become dependent on my vt deluxe for different preset tones to handle a large variety of songs (using at least 4 different presets.) I am starting to play live more and am playing an important show in 2 different bands this weekend and have just been told that the sound man will only DI the bass, period. I usually run the vt deluxe straight into my amp and adjust my volume on the bass.

Should I try to convince the sound man to take his signal off of the vt? I have tweaked the pedal plenty enough to make the volume output of each preset fairly equal, but know the EQs etc for each preset are quite different, which is the point of using the pedal. Will switching between presets become a problem?

Would you please post any advice you might have, I am stressing that I will have to play 40+ songs with the same general tone...And I am not sure of how to communicate this with the sound guy:help:

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Find a non-stressful moment and just tell him your concerns. Tell him you use this unit to get a variety of EQ sounds that you want the House to receive but that you also want to make sure that he's getting a steady signal that won't give him headaches. Who knows, he may find five minutes to go over your settings with you.

Worst case scenario, he says F-U and throws a DI between your bass and your pedal board. Oh well.

But you do have a right to ask.

3. Catanova

Catanova

Thanks for your advice. I will to talk to him and try to make this work. And just now a light bulb went off, this may be a good reason for having active bass electronics! All my basses are passive...maybe I am missing the bigger picture.

Either way, I have bought the ticket and have to take the ride

4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I don't think you will have problems with the soundman. Did he specificiallly say you have to use his DI? What he is probably trying to avoid is mic'ing the amp. That is probably his biggest concern. It will increase stage volume and cause other issues with the mix he can't control. If you were using an active bass, or even switching between two basses, your EQ would be different.

Honestly, I wouldn't ask him, I would just tell him you will be sending a signal from your VT. The VT has a good DI and sounds great going into a system. I have a gig I do on a regular basis and the soundman actually hates Sansamp products. I brought a BDDI one time and he asked me what else I had. Was somewhat adamant about me not using it.
    Brought in the VT and he was very happy with it.

Active electronics are good but, most often really do change the tonal behaviors and responses you get vs. a passive bass. Experiment with a few before you go that route. Some are more natural sounding and others are more hyped. It's all personal preference

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Catanova

Catanova

Well after all my handwringing, it turns out that the soundguy was exceptionally cool and simply asked if I needed a monitor or if I was going use my amp as my monitor, which I did. Showed him the VT and he gave me an xlr cable to use and was all set. Equipment ran seamlessly for the show :bassist:

The dude was super cool considering that he had to mic 2 full drum kits, 3 guitars, 1 keys, 1 harp, 1 flute, and 5 singers...

The snake end was in front of my amp and I was amazed at how many wiring runs originated out, as we used all 16 channels. It was a real f'ing birdsnest, and I had to try hard not to step back into all of it. Stagespace was VERY tight. Had all 15 people on stage for the final song :cool:

Great show and would do it again setup that way and I am more confident now about getting my sound sent the way I wanted.