1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

VT+JDI vs VTDI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by silky smoove, Dec 17, 2013.

1. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

I'm planning on buying another VT product. I previously owned a v1 VT and really liked it, but sold it to fund other GAS related nonsense. I already own a JDI, but am not using it for anything. My next VT will be used as an overdrive channel, not an always-on effect.

With that in mind, would the VT paired with my existing JDI be smarter, or just cheaper than going with a VTDI? The VT lacks the blend control, but not being an always-on effect, that may not be a problem.

Thoughts?
  2. svtb15

svtb15

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist:Alleva-Coppolo| MESA |Genz-Benz R.I.P.|REDDI|Westone
    I have two REDDis.. I use one straight and the other with a VT bass... I Also have teh VTDI... The VTDI is not working for me.. The Blend is not even IMO.. and if i gain it up on the drive knob signal still passes even when it is in BYPASS via the foot switch.. SO i am staying with my VT bass .. An it into a REDDI is pretty darn great.. Did the same with the radial.. and the Reddi does it better than the Radial...
  3. silky smoove

Giving this a mid day bump to gather a few more opinions before I make my decision.
  4. Timi

Timi

I prefer the VTDI due to being able to have the speaker sim on but the bite button out. The V1 (or V2 with speaker sim on) were too clicky/clanky for my liking even with the treble on minimum.

The built in DI seems fine to me and since I only use it live I haven't bothered to compare it with my JDI.
  5. aledeville

aledeville

Oh come on, you've got like one of the best DI's there and you're planning to replace it by the Tech21 device? No offense, but the Jensen Output Transformer is probably the best there is.
    VT Bass in front of it and there you go.
  6. cableguy

cableguy

Since you already own a DI, you could buy a used VT bass. If you feel you need the blend, Mike Putnum will add one for about $60.
  7. silky smoove

I see a pattern developing here.

I don't "need" the blend control since this will be more of an overdrive function for the heavier parts of tunes in my hiphop project. When it's on, I want it to be ON. Having the JDI take up more real estate on my board isn't a concern at this point, but definitely something to consider.
  8. cableguy

cableguy

I see Bass NW has a used VT bass for $99. It's V1 so no speaker sim defeat if that matters to you. I think if you're only using the VT part time and as an overdrive I might use the JDI. That way you could experiment with placement in you effects chain (if you have many) for different sounds. If that doesn't work out I think you'll be seeing some VT bass DI's pop up used (and a lot cheaper) in about 6 months when the new car smell wears off.
  9. cableguy

cableguy

I've always had great luck (and sound) with any of my Tech 21 devices when running to FOH.......
  10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Maybe, maybe not. Both V1 and V2 of the VT Bass have held their value really well on the used market. Many pedals tend to go for around half their new price, yet half the new price of a VT Bass DI will only get you a pedal that's two versions ago and a few years old in VT land. I'm actually surprised there haven't been more on the used market so far, but that speaks to its reception. It's been out long enough that the typical pedal newness would have worn off.

If it's just a dirt pedal and OP liked his V1 so much and never even uses his Radial DI, I don't see any reason to get the VT Bass DI. Personally, I like the dirt sounds better in this new version, particularly because of the Bite defeat and Blend, but I wouldn't buy it as a dirt pedal alone. I use it for FOH amp sim only. The Radials are probably much better DIs if you are looking for a clean signal. If you are looking for amp/cab simulation in your tone going through the house system at a gig, the VT Bass DI is a better tool.
  11. aledeville

aledeville

I'm not denying that, but the JDI is just top notch.
  12. Randy S

Randy S

I own both a Tone Hammer and a VT Bass DI.

Many times in buildings with ground loops or EMF interference, I will run 1/4" out of either into my JDI. But I usually run basses with single coil pickups.

To me, the blend on the VT DI is worth the price difference between it and the VT.

Buy the VT DI.

And any bass that isn't shielded is worth shielding.

Some well respected basses have no shielding at all.
  13. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I bought the VTDI thinking it would replace my VT, but I sold it as despite the new bells and whistles, it just didn't sound as good as the original. Also, separates are the way to go if you want to run any delay/modulation/etc between the VT and DI.
  14. aledeville

aledeville

I heard of this several times... EQ of the VTDI is not as effective as on the old one etc.
    Too bad.