1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Vtbass and ampeg amp. How do you use it?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by solitario, Jan 31, 2013.

1. solitario

solitario

I bought a vt bass 2 weeks ago. It sounds great! The idea was to use it with my pf500 to emulate a b15 but with much power than the b15 but... I found that using it direct to the power amp it sounds even better...

Is it safe to use it this way? Volume doesn't work so I only have the bass volume and the pedal volume.

For those who have a vtbass and an ampeg... Do you use it as a preamp? As an overdrive? As a second Chanel for the amp? Just curiosity...

2. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Yes, it's perfectly safe to use it as you described. All you're doing is bypassing the preamp. I have done the same thing with other amps that I didn't care for the tone. Wouldn't think you'd need to do it with a PF-500 to get a good "Ampeg" tone, but if you prefer the sound then why not? You could always pick up a standalone power amp for this purpose and either sell the PF-500 or have it as a backup/secondary amp.

3. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Yep. That in my opinion that is the better way, period. I never had my 2 or 3 350's or my 2 500's "cut out" on me when I used that method. But put into the effects return, because there is a "power amp in" jack in back don't use that one...and make sure the "effects mix" if that's what its called is all the way up.

If you use the effects return, you'll still be able to use the master volume on the PF. If you go into the power amp in, the master won't work, your only V adjustment will be the "level" on the VT. And that would be touchy, touchy, touchy.

BTW...the "normal" way through the front, using the PF's preamp...is a very sweet Ampeg tone.

And even though I'm currently having a cheap, tawdry manage de twat (or however it's spelled) with power and tone of 2 others...I still love me some Ampeg.

Maybe I'm just getting me some strange.

4. solitario

solitario

Thank you guys, I also would like to know presets from people who use it as a pedal before an ampeg preamp. Do you use vt pedals with ampeg amps? What's the point?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I go ahead and use the VTbass whenever it sound good or can add to the sound quality. Even though it is advertised as a SVT simulator, it is just electonics and I use it when I can take advantage of it.

I gig using a real SVT II for instance. One would think that you would not need anything else with 6 glowing power tubes in the back, but I commonly can not crank my power section up far enough to get a vibe of my liking, so I find myself using the VTbass for help.

I also use an SVT-4 Pro for practice. There too, using the VTbass sound a hell of a lot better!

So, there is not much to think about here. Just take advantage of your electronics for shaping your sound, whatever way it works.

7. solitario

solitario

Wich setting do you use in the pedal? And in the amp? I found that the first position of the 5 mids position sounds better with the vt but the vt mid control is 500 wich is the position 3 in the amp

8. solitario

solitario

also, if I conect to it direct to the power amp as a preamp, I dont have the option of using the balanced line out in the amp. if I plug it direct to the fx loop bypasing the preamp, wil the line out of the amp work?

9. solitario

solitario

10. Neiler

Neiler

Ill be adding a vtbass (V.2 im leaning towards) to my PF500 rig next week...ill be back to post any news on the sound.

I play in a metal band and am looking to add a little extra edge/dirt/growl/balls to my sound so suggestions are welcome.

cheers

11. solitario

solitario