Vulfpeck Scaming Spotify for Free Tour

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Duuuuuuuuuude, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Vulfpeck released an album on Spotify with 100% blank tracks. The band earns a half a cent every time a track is played. They're asking people play the blank tracks on repeat as they sleep which would earn the band $4 over 8 hours. Now multiply that by thousands of people. Their goal is to earn enough on Spotify so they can do an entire tour with free admission. Even if they don't make enough money, it's a brilliant marketing gimmick.

Here's a video explanation of how it works:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXvncV79LXk

And BTW, their bass player rips
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQRV0c1KXYc
  2. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Vulfpeck is excellent. I'd gladly pay to see them, but whatever gets them to tour...
  3. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I'd pay, too. Hope they tour my way.
  4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Ah , the olde reverse (expletive) you trick. Good for them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. M0ses

M0ses

If I used Spotify, I would totally do this just for the sheer mad genius-ness of it. Respect.
  7. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Guess I'm the odd man out. This costs somebody money, I'm guessing it drains the venture capital of whomever convinced the money men that Spotify was the next "it" thing.
    I guess I got old enough to become "establishment".

GET OFF MY LAWN!
    :)
  8. Desirsar

Desirsar

Couldn't any band ask their fans to loop their normal albums while they sleep, but unplug the speakers? (You mean everyone else can't sleep through KISS and Metallica at max volume?)
  9. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

I'm with you. I'm assuming Spotify makes money with Ads? If enough people are playing tracks without listening, its likely that advertisers will drop support.

Of course, this could be done with regular songs instead of special lank tracks.

Spotify may have to implement a "timeout" feature like Pandora.
  10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 Spotify will shut this down and win in any court how about just charging reduced prices for your concerts. I think it's just a publicity stunt.
  11. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

When emailed about the project Spotify responded with "it's a clever stunt but we prefer Vulfpeck's earlier albums. Sleepify seems derivative of John Cage's work."
  12. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

I totally dig Vulfpeck and would gladly pay to see them in concert. I also think this is a pretty clever little criss cross. But someone, somewhere is going to pay for this. Either I pay $40 to go see them live or i pay it a few bucks at a time to loop their songs or I pay it when the cost of a spotify membership goes up. Believe me, spotify won't just allow this kind of thing to happen without passing the cost on somehow.
    It also makes me wonder what the point is. If you think scamming spotify somehow is sticking it to the man what they are doing isn't much different than just getting spotify to sponsor a live tour-- which would surely cause some to scream "sellout"! (Some, not necessarily me.)
  13. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

I prefer spotify's reply...sleepify, John Cage? Now THAT was clever!
    Gotta respect a music company that actually understands music!
  14. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I hear you, man. Spotify hasn't said much about it, but I assume that they're going with the free publicity. They've gotten a lot of bad press for how little the artists make on Spotify. I think it's .005%. So any news about artists using it as a legitimate business model would be welcome publicity. But, this is purely speculation on my part.