VW rabbit, opinions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stilettoprefer, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I'm looking for a first vehicle, and all of the small pickups around here are either too expensive, or all kinds of screwed up.

I really love the look of this rabbit and the mileage certainly makes my wallet happy!!! Its right at the top of my budget, though.

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/3373494273.html

Any thoughts? Is this a good price? There isn't much of trend in the pricing on craigslist for these.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'd want to know why the backseats were replaced, why the carpet is coming up, and why the paint job is terrible. Get a CarFax.

-Mike
  3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Get the engine checked out. Seems kind of beat up. What's your price range?
  4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

$3000 for a 27-year-old car? I don't know blue book values but that seems overpriced. Still, my dad had one of the early models around 1980 and as far as he ever said it was a good little car.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

I think you can do better than that at 3K (the rabbit's price on the link).
  7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

My price range is up to $3500. Will be higher if I end up getting the 50% tuition waiver that my band director has been talking to me about.

If you have any ideas for good first cars, I just need good mileage (25+) as I drive A LOT for work and school. So toss em out! I'll drive pretty much anything. The rabbits just happen to have caught my eye on this afternoons craigslist peruse.
  8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

That's way to much for a car that age in that condition ....keep looking ...you could find a Toyota corrolla cheaper than that in better shape and it will run forever
  9. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Ohhh and that new paint is hiding a lot of crap that will pop back thru soon ...

I sound harsh ....I've bought enough cars to fill a small a parking lot and have learned the hard way ...

If you really want it offer him half and when he says no tell .him to call you if he changes his mind
  10. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

You must live close to me, because Corvallis craigslist is my local craigslist. That is for sure overpriced, the convertibles actually always go for less.Thats worth probably 2k. I am really into older VW's and watch prices on them.
  11. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

12. elgecko

elgecko

That's an awesome car...if you're Stephanie Zimbalist!

:bag:
  13. gene beauchamp

gene beauchamp Supporting Member

Vw's are nothing but maintenance. I own 2 and every couple months something needs fixed on both. The radiator leaks on one and I have to take off front wheels ,fenders and bumper just to replace it. DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!
  14. pbasswil

pbasswil Supporting Member

It might be ok (if a bit pricy); but be aware that as a general rule, VWs aren't the most reliable cars out there. Personally, if i was buying something that old I'd be carefully looking for the most reliable brand(s) & models. Otherwise, maintenance & repairs are soon going to make the purchase price seem like an insignificant consideration.
  15. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

I had a Rabbit pickup. 70 miles an hour was about top speed. Wouldn't pull your pecker out of your britches.
  16. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I'm actually in Oregon City, but my girlfriend goes to OSU, so I could check out cars while visiting for a weekend. That's the only reason I had that listing from Corvallis:p.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll definitely look cheaper if I go for a VW. The Jetta wagons generally don't look too bad around here and most are close to KBB prices.

Also looking at 90's Toyotas.
  17. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

18. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Well the upcoming six months of rain are going to test the seller's "leak free top" claim.
  19. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Had 2 80's Rabbits-both diesels both reliable and good cars.
    Downside: Expensive to repair, thin bodies rust and not so good in an accident.

Newer cars have better technology and are better made. I'd look for a 10 year rice burner.
  20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

21. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest