W a r w i c k Bargains

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hgiles, Nov 16, 2012.

1. hgiles

hgiles

I've noticed W a r w i c k s have a pretty precipitous drop in value from new. Should I even be considering a W a r w i c k?

Question: I've found two older German (but brand new) W a r w i c k s in a local shop.

08 C o r v e t t e S t a n d a r d 6 String - $1400
    06 Ash Blonde NT K a t a n a 5 String -- $1800

These are 'my' prices, of course. ;-) I really want a 6 string, but am not sure I want to pay what he's asking for that bass. Not sure I can trust the guy either. They are new basses though.

I started learning bass on a Ibanez 706 and want to upgrade, not out of need really, just out of an expression of a firmer, deeper commitment to playing bass. I'd really like a TRB6II if I can find a good one...

Torn. What's your thought?
  2. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

What's with the mysterioso spelling (spaces between the letters of the word "Warwick" and model names Corvette and Katana)? Are you trying to make sure no one will find your thread using the search function? Just curious.
  3. bass10bfb

bass10bfb Prophet Low End Provider Supporting Member

This is just my opinion of course, but I love Warwicks. At the same time (IMO) you can find better deals on used ones than you can new ones. Warwick basses are on here all the time and you can find them with really good prices most of the time. I found a 6 string Vette Standard with Seymour Duncan pups on Ebay, shipped to me, for $750. Best bass I have ever owned. Warwicks hold up well and most seem to get better with age. I love all of mine. You just have to be patient and look. I watched Ebay and Talkbass for a long time before I ran up on that deal, but man was it worth it!!!
    BTW, I much prefer older Warwicks as well over the newer ones (just my preference). Granted, I can't spend the money to buy a brand new one, but the "newer" ones I have had just could not do it for me like older ones.
  4. hgiles

hgiles

I was using my phone keyboard and the quotes and formatting on those words didn't translate apparently.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. socialleper

socialleper

I'm a registered Warwick molester as well. I have an unnatural desire for them, but luckily the lack available space in my den and lack of inventory in stores keeps my urges in check.
    I'll repeat what a lot of people have already said in other posts: they are great for me but they aren't for everyone. They have a very specific feel and sound, so make sure you try one out before diving in.
    The internet has made the resell value of almost all basses 40%-60% less than what you will pay for them new, so don't hold that against the brand. There do seem to be a whole lot of used Thumbs out there and I've never been able to figure out if its because they are so popular or is its because so many people try them and can't get past the instruments inherent ergo peculiarities.
    You'll notice that there are far less Streamers of various types available for resale, so that might tell you something too.
  7. JonKim

JonKim Supporting Member

There's a guy right now on our forums selling a 6 string vette with Bart's for a lot less
  8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

If you want a Warwick, the depreciation shouldn't stop you. Every brand takes a big hit, new to used. If you're anxious about value, buy used.
  9. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

I love my Warwick. I would never hesitate to recommend that someone else pick one up.

I also think that almost without exception, one should always buy used. Follow the classifieds on here, and be patient. What you want will come up.

B e s t o f l u c k w i t h y o u r s e a r c h ;)
  10. Joshua Alexander

Joshua Alexander

B U Y A W A R W I C K !
  11. hgiles

hgiles

Thanks for the advice guys! I did like the craftsmanship of the Warwicks, not the weight of the Corvette Standard. The Katana was lighter and felt better but was not a six string. I will check the TB marketplace....
  12. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

Used older Warwicks are indeed a bargain. They also happen to be wonderfully made, play great, sound unique in a good way and are quite beautiful. My '97 Corvette is a little heavier than I'd prefer, but still reasonable with a wide strap.
  13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

+1

I have an '87 Thumb bass that I'd put up against any boutique on the market today.
  14. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

You can always grab an older ash-bodied Corvette to lose some of the weight. And I agree that used is the way to go :)
  15. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

that would be my bass now as i just bought it!:bassist:
  16. hgiles

hgiles

Still looking, I guess....
  17. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

If you buy a Warwick made in the 1990's or before at a reasonable street price and in mint condition you'll be able to sell it for that or more anytime in the future. Every new bass drops in value, as noted above 50% to 60% devaluation of a bass from new to used isn't uncommon in any brand, much less Warwick.
    That said, try before you buy if you can. I think a lot of people buy Warwicks because of all the gushing we Warwick fans do over these basses then they end up not liking the weight or ergonomics or finish or maybe the tone or whatever and flip them. They are very unique basses and not for everyone. The look, feel and tone of these things is not like anyother brand I can think of, and that can lead to a love it or hate it relationship.
    I love mine.
  18. Herrick

Herrick

Hgiles, check this out. It's a 6-string Germang-made Corvette. It's bubinga though, so it'll probably be pretty heavy.
  19. hgiles

hgiles

Thanks Herrick! I can get a brand new one (German made '08) for $1400 at a local shop. That's really more than I want to pay. I'd like to be sub $1000; so Ive been looking at Yamaha TRB 6s, which tend to sell for a bit less.