Wah: Morley PDW-II or Dunlop 105Q

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ffutterman, Jan 31, 2013.

1. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    I've been jonesing for a wah pedal for a while, but I'm not sure which one to go with. I've heard the 105Q is a great wah for bass, but a knowledgeable friend of mine just recommended the PDW-II because it's a little more versatile. Anyone have any recommendations, or at least some insight into the pros and cons of each?

2. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

I love my Morley dual bass wah. The switchless feature rules.

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I love my Dunlop 105Q. The switchless feature rules. As does the sweep range.

4. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

I didn't know those were switchless as well. I pretty much bought the one I always wanted, and I love it, so I never bothered to look at anything else lol.

EDIT: After reviewing the 105Q, I'd say that's better than the Morley, doggone it! lol

The mixing of the dry signal into the clean on the way up is really a well thought feature, which doesn't happen with the Morley. It's either on or off when you hit the treadle.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

IMO, the newer Morleys got nothing on the older ones. The sweep range on a power boost wah is huge, but the new ones are like half.

I like my PBW better than the 105Q, but it's huge and the bypass is awful. Oddly enough, the 105Q sounds more like an old Morley to me than the newer Morleys do. Which is exactly what I was looking for.

I have heard that the new Power Wah and Tremonti are the closest to the old ones sonically, but I haven't had a chance to try them.

7. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    Thanks for the feedback! I did some poking around on YouTube, and the Dunlop really has a great sound whereas the Morley sounds more like a whine. It's like a "wah" versus a "waa". I think I'll go with the Dunlop.