1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Wah vs Envelope + expression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Naxn, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Naxn

Naxn

Dec 19, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Is there any difference between a wah and an envelope filter + expression pedal?

Backstory: I have a sound in my head I'm trying to replicate. Actually it's really just a controlled EHX bass micro synth type sound.

Closest stuff I've heard are Cliff Burton power wah type sound and some of the dub-steppy expression stuff.

I've seen people mod the EHX and add a expression pedal, but that's not really where I want to go with this. From what I've heard the Dunlop 105q is close, but I'd like it to be a little more extreme if possible.

Also, I'd like to switch on as few pedals as possible to get there.

2. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Yonkers, NY
    Try The EHX Qballs Enigma. Lots of controls. It might just be what you're looking for.

3. Sponsored by:

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
  5. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I added a pedal input to my EH Microsynth many years ago (I bought one when they first came out. Although one CAN get wah from it, you can get a lot more with a lot of control over the range and quality of the wah. You have the octaves, straight tones, high and low sets for the wah sweep, Q of the sweep, distortion, etc.