Wait Time Between Truss Rod Adjustments?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Shippy, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Shippy

Shippy

Worked today on my Squier VM Jazz and had to take a quarter turn to reduce the arc of the neck, part way to the actual specs as defined by Fender for jazz basses. Also using the free book from Jerzy Drodz about setup.

I've seen the advice about only moving the neck for a quarter-turn as a time, but never saw any advice or guideline for the interval between adjustments. I think I need to make at least one and maybe two quarter-turns to reach the specs, subject to frets buzzing, etc.

My intuition says play and practice for a couple of weeks and keep an eye out for any problems.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions? I'm working toward making a change from Pressurewounds to Labella Flats...
  2. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Hey Shippy, I've read a few other threads that talk about this, most people seem to think that maybe up to a third or perhaps a quarter of a turn per day would do the trick. I agree, I think that waiting a week or so is just not needed. If there are any minor creeping adjustments that the neck goes through you ought to get it zeroed in within a few days rather than weeks.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

The only reason to go a quarter at a time is that it can have a large effect. Watch videos of REAL luthiers working on neglected instruments and they crank away on rods, a full turn or more. Of course their experience allows them to judge approx , just by looking, how much an instrument needs to get it in shape. Your bass is probably close so you won't have to get whacky with the Allen wrench. Settling kind of makes me laugh: that's a steel rod, am I supposed to wait for it to stretch? For the wood at the anchor points to squish? :p
  4. zortation

zortation

I like 1/8th turns better. It's just always better to do things in small increments, especially on a solid body guitar, no wait time needed.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Shippy

Shippy

Thanks to all. Slow and steady will win the race? That works for me.