Waiting for Xerograph Deluxe, meantime...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassfuser, Sep 30, 2013.

1. bassfuser

bassfuser Supporting Member

I ordered a Xerograph Deluxe a couple weeks ago and I understand that it's great and worth the wait. But I'm new to effects pedals and I'm jonesin' to get something to get started.

I'm thinking of getting the MXR M82 or some similar pedal to satisfy the craving. Does this pedal have enough differences that it wouldn't be redundant once the Xerograph arrives? Would there be a better choice? Or would I just be wasting my money?

Thanks.

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

The MXR is a fundamentally different filter being bandpass (the Xerograph is a low pass filter) and yet I've found that the Xerograph can cover that sound fairly well if you use the 2pole mode, resonance bumped up a fair amount (2-3 o'clock for me) and the clean tone blended in with the wet (either 50/50 or 60/40 wet to dry for me) so personally I'd go with something else.

3. bassfuser

How about the Subdecay Proteus?

4. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

I use a 3 Leaf Proton in conjunction with my Xero Deluxe. It's a nice alternative because it is a little "funkier" and the xero is a little "synthier".

I highly recommend the Proton.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassfuser

I got the Proton and really like the sound. You can tell is very well built and it;s nice because the pedal can be very subtle if you want. Nice 1st pedal for someone breaking into effects.

Thanks for the suggestion.

7. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

I've tried a few filters and my favourite so far is the Proton; it sounds great and its controls are simple but effective.

I am itching to try a Xerograph at some point but the Proton has been covering my filter needs.

8. bravesaint5

bravesaint5

I just got a Xero Deluxe from a fellow TBer, and it is a fantastic pedal. Now I'm just waiting for my Moog EP-2 Exp pedal to come so I can get the full effect. Being that you're new to pedals you very well might get frustrated for a week or so trying to find the right settings that work for you. I had the hardest time finding the settings that sounded great and didn't overpower the rest of the band. It's a wild beast that takes a bit of learning to tame, but it's well worth it.

9. bassfuser

Yeah, I'm a bit intimidated with the prospect of using it. I already have the Moog EP-2 so I guess I'm about ready to enter the twilight zone. I'm sure I'll be watching a lot of demos to get some ideas.

The Proton seems like an excellent pedal to use for non-crazy effects. It's almost plug and play.

10. bassfuser

I want it for the big sweep. My band plays Tom Sawyer but the keyboard guy just left. I'm hoping I can use the Xerograph to get that kind of effect.

11. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Nice. I think, from what I've heard, the Xero would be perfect for that sort of sound but you'll probably need some dirt/fuzz before it (I'm sure you've already planned this out).

I'm jealous! I wish I was in a band that did Rush covers... I mainly do blues and function work because of them dollar dollar bills.

12. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

The Proton/Xero Dlx combo is pretty deadly, as I've been rocking this in my setup for quite some time. The Proton is a very nice filter and I use it most of the time. Definitely a plug-and-play pedal (at least in my experience).

But the Xero Dlx is a BEAST and brings sounds to the next level - Expression-sweeps, auto-sweeps, Super-FAT static lowpass, up/down filters....I love this thing.

13. bassfuser

Yeah, I have an IE Oxide ordered too. Should be interesting.

Geddy has some awesome bass lines. Never thought I'd be playing Rush before I joined this band earlier this year. We're also learning LimeLight.

I also never thought I'd be using effects, but here I am.

14. bassfuser

Do you just set them up together in the effects chain only using one or the other at a time? (Probably a pretty stupid question because I doubt there would be a need to use both at the same time.)

15. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

No wrong answers, do whatever sounds good to you or fits the song.

16. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

I love me some Rush. Took my Ric out to rehearsal today (a bizarre, midi-accordion lead folk-blues band). Sounds great with flats but I'm thinking putting some Sunbeams on because it's kinda hard to pretend to be Geddy with flats :p

I kinda know how you feel with effects; I started off without them, then ended up putting together a massive board which I hardly used live before going straight to amp again.

Eventually I put together my little board which has my four essential tools on it with two noise makers; the Proton and Polytope (soon to be replaced with a SubT :hyper:)

17. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

So true....

and I HAVE used both in tandem, I just can't remember the settings for each. I'll have to play with that tonight...

18. Phagor

Phagor

I've got an Oxide and a Xerograph with a expression pedal. They are great together, so much fun.

Just a word of warning - if you are wanting to do long sweeps with both, you will want to set the Oxide's Morph knob away from the Gated end of the range. Turn it clockwise towards the "Brassmaster" kind of fuzz.

The Oxide sounds great when fully gated - mine is always anti-clockwise for a synthy tone. But notes stop suddenly once your bass's level drops below a certain point. Can be unpredictable for long notes.