Wal bass pickup D.C. resistance (output)?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by modlad69, Aug 6, 2013.

1. modlad69

modlad69

Hi fellow Wal heads,
    Can anyone here tell me what the D.C. resistance (output) is on a Wal pickup? Is the output any different between the 4 and 5 string Wal pickup? Your help is much appreciated! ;)
    Cheers!
  2. MPU

MPU

Resistance is not the same as output. Wal style pickup has a bit lower output when wired each string in series and these pairs parallel ( "new" Wal) compared to each row of four in series and these rows in series ("old" Wal). The resistance in first wiring is very low compared to second wiring. I don't remember the exact numbers. I count turns in each coil, not resistance.
  3. iiipopes

iiipopes

Indeed. DC resistance is only a measure of how long the wire is versus its diameter if you took it off the coil and straightened it out. It really means nothing by itself regarding output. The factors that determine output are type of coil, geometry of coil, diameter of wire, type and gauss of magnet, polepiece or rails interaction, proximity to the strings, pole piece versus coil proximity, etc.

DC resistance is measured in ohms, usually kilohms for standard high impedance pickups.

Output is measured in AC millivolts for passives, and even as high as volts for actives, when the pickup signal is induced by a standard source.

Finally, all modern amps have input gain and active/passive circuitry. The actual output of a pickup doesn't mean much anymore, as it can be adjusted on the front end, unlike older amplifiers, like original Fender Bassman or such.
  4. modlad69

modlad69

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. Lots of info there. :)
    Cheers!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

I think they were after a'figure so to know if the pick up was a copy or not

If is possible to add DC resistance by adding lumps of metal