Wal owners HELP!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Hey everybody. I'm having a big problem with my wal and I don't know what is wrong.:crying: I'm hoping I can seek some advice here. My bass is making very very strange noises. It's not all the time but randomly it lets out extremely high pitched squeals and crackles. I will be playing along and everything is fine then all the sudden it will start crackling bad and let all these strange bleeps out. The noises almost sound like something a ring modulator could create. High pitched squeals, beeps, blurps, and random crackling noises. It is not doing it all the time. I just noticed it today and it's coming and going at random. Any Wal owners have some advice? I'm going to attempt to capture the sounds on recording for reference. Thanks so much everybody.

2. nixdad

nixdad

Silly question - have you checked the battery?

3. Musicman1901

No I have not. I did not think anything having to do with the battery could create such insane noises. I also figured the preamp would not be operating correctly if the battery was dying. I have not changed the battery in a very long time I suppose I might as well change it. I will laugh if that was it haha

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

My G&L L2500 started making "insane noises" once and it WAS the battery!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassplace

bassplace Supporting Member

Bad cap or something. Jump over to the Wal basses part 4 thread and repost and you'll get advise

7. Musicman1901

well that is music to my ears. I pray to god that's all that's wrong haha. Of course I can't find a battery in the house and I don't want to go to the store right now:mad:

8. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

It seem a few people have had their older Wals have this same thing happen lately. AFAIK, all cleared it up by servicing the pots with Deoxit.
    Squirt it into the little retangular holes on the side of the pot body.

9. Musicman1901

Hmmm okay. Tomorrow I will buy some deoxit, clean the pots out, and pop a new battery in. I'm hoping that's all it needs. I have nightmares going through my head of something serious being wrong haha

10. Janforth

Janforth Supporting Member

Yes, sound advise from Caca de Kick, I had a problem when I'd turn the pick up filter knobs, at certain settings it would make a squealing / modulating noise, and it would make a popping noise, as advised by Caca de Kick, I sprayed it with deoxit, problem solved, I hope the same works for you..

11. Musicman1901

Did you just clean the filter knobs or did you clean everything. Volume, blend, filter knobs

12. Caca de Kick

Do them all since your already there. It also works s a lube, so it's freed up the push-pull pots to be easier on my older Wals.

13. Musicman1901

So just squirt it into that little opening on the side? I have never done that before. Just making sure i'm getting it where its suppose to go and not someplace it's not suppose to go haha. Also, after spending the last half hour playing with I have realized it's directly related to the volume knob. When I engage the pick attack it starts up. As soon as I turn the pick attack off it quickly diminishes into a slight crackle then goes away

14. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

After applying the DeoxIT, turn the knob a few times - all the way in each direction.

15. Musicman1901

Will do! Can I pick that stuff up at some place like lowes?

16. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

not sure who the US retailers are...

In Canadia, a few music shops carry it, but I get mine from an electronics depot... I think Radio Shack had it in the olden days...

17. Janforth

Janforth Supporting Member

I got mine at Radio Shack it's called Deoxit D5 (my local lowe's didn't carry it, yours may), with the pick attack engaged, try turning the pick up filter knobs to see if there is any change, mine would happen only in certain spots, if memory serves me it was around the number 3 position and number 7 positions on the bridge/treble filter knob, and on number 3 position on the neck/bass filter knob, I was able to really hear it using my GT10B w/headphones, and it stood out much more with the pick attack engaged.

18. brconflict

brconflict

Silly question, but you've tried different basses, cords, and pre-amp/amp, right? The electronics onboard are pretty pure, meaning there's little effort in thwarting potential component failures or idiosyncrasies, vs. pure sound. It's possible, when a component begins to fail, including the battery it could exhibit some nasty elements.

Try using your blend knob (B, BT, T knob) in the back or forward position entirely to see which circuit may be at fault, since it seems to mix the two as a true blend does. In other words, set to either T or B completely and see which, if one, causes the spikes.

Then jiggle your your cable to see if you can cause the issue. Change the battery, and we can go from there.

19. Musicman1901

I have tried swapping cables and basses yes. I just bought a can of dexoit and a new 9v battery. After dinner i'm gonna open her up and clean all the pots out and change the battery. I will report back with the results!

20. Caca de Kick

Swab out the 1/4" jack with deoxit too while you're at it. I put it on a swab and clean all the gunk off the barrel and tabs.

21. Musicman1901

No luck :( I put a new battery in and cleaned all the pots. Used a q-tip with deoxit on the input jack. Still crackling. However I have not gotten any of those funny modulation noises. Just static/crackling.