Wal players - which strings ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kbuschmann, Dec 13, 2012.

1. kbuschmann

kbuschmann Supporting Member

What are the string preferences amongst you Wal players? What's the reason for liking what you like? Is that preference a generic one, or specific to the multi-coil? Is this too many questions for too small a crowd?
  2. Dugachug

Dugachug

I know justin chancellor of tool uses a wal with ernie ball stainless steel hybrid slinky, and that he uses a .110 from the power slinky set(which means his E is nickel wound?) a waste of 3 strings if u ask me :eyebrow: should make his own custom set.
  3. AndroWal

AndroWal Supporting Member

I've always used stainless steel round wounds on my Wals. I've been through various brands and have settled on DR HiBeams. They feel great right out of the box. They are a bit more flexible which I like. They sound great for months....bright, big bottom, great mids, etc. And they don't chew-up the frets or the fretless fingerboards. Also, I've had good luck with them regarding the consistency of their quality. I can remember only having one set that seemed off a few years ago.

They are a great all-around string set for all types of music.
  4. BassBod

BassBod

Wal used to fit Rotosounds from the factory in the 80's but were using Picato nickel rounds in the 90's.
  5. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

On my Wals I use RotoSound Funkmaster .30-.90. Just like Geddy did.
  6. stoyo

stoyo

I like D'Addario EXL165's on all my basses. Wal or not. They sound freaking great! And seem to last some time.
  7. Spaldo

Spaldo

eek! that's pretty light! how do they sound on a wal?
  8. Madelineid

Madelineid

I prefer nickel strings, they deliver a warmer tone, less bright with more mids. They are great for fingerstyle players, pick players and slap players alike, wanting a more vintage vibe.
  9. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Late response I know, they sound great. Geddy uses the same gauge on his red Wal MK2 - Check out RUSH albums, Power Windows, Roll the Bones, Hold your fire, Presto
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

That sound is in the top 3 bass sounds EVER.