1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Walking and comping

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by Bass_Machine, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Hiya Todd, how are you? Hope everything's great your end.

I was just wondering if you have anything to share about your ability to play a walking bass and chords simultaneously? The sort of thing I'm talking about is your first chorus here:‪Todd Johnson Bass Guitar & Dewey Erney: How High The Moon‬‏ - YouTube

I'm keen to incorporate this into my playing (I play a 6er) but I'm not sure where to start. Are there some basic concepts you could fill me in on? I'm guessing it's a two-note voicing (3 and 7? or maybe some extensions?) with your ring and pinky for the chordal stabs, whilst you walk with the index and middle fingers. Pretty much based on shell voicings to start with would be my guess, but I'm far from sure. Could you possibly throw me a bone? Any tips you might have would be fantastic!

I've worked through all three volumes of your walking bass dvds, as well as starting on your fishing for grips book, and while they have helped tremendously with my chord melody playing and walking, they haven't shed much light on this aspect of your style. I'm also looking at some guitar material focused around three note voicings and chord melodies (this excellent volume in fact: http://jazzwise.com/new/randy-vincent-three-note-voicings-and-beyond.html) to get me thinking about harmony in a new way to "standard bass player" style thinking about one note at a time!

Thanks,

Hector

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Hector,

Sorry I'm so slow in getting back to you...we're moving from L.A. to Phoenix and things have been beyond hectic...thanks for your patience....

The walking and comping thing is "primarily"....3rds & 7ths in the chord.....roots, 5ths and half steps above and below....There are other things to add and consider to be sure, but this is where you start. Cool???

Let me know how it goes....