1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Walking Bass Challenge

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Craken, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Craken

Craken

Hi everyone. The guitarist in my band has come up with a new tune and I am struggling a little bit coming up with good walking basslines over the changes. The combination of the chords and the time sig has me a bit stuck. So I was wondering if some of you would be interested in notating/recording/suggesting some ideas that you might have? It's a dissonant be-boppy affair, swing feel around 190 bpm, with a walking bass line on the 1/4 notes.

Here are the chords for the A section:

|| Bm7b5(b2) | G7 | Em7(b2) | Fmaj7 ||

It is really just in C major, and I think you really have to adhere to the appropriate extensions for each chord.

The timing is in 10/4, but I count it in 4/4 then 6/4. So each chord is played for 4 bars (4/4,6/4 x2 then next chord).

The B section is in 4/4 I can cope with it quite easily. Any help/ideas would be great, cheers!
  2. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

A wav file of the guitar part would be helpful.
    Hard to come up with a bass part without feeling the groove.
  3. Craken

Craken

It's not really the groove that I am worried about it's just note choice. The groove is just swing feel around 190 bpm, with a walking bass line on the 1/4 notes.
  4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

If you play the extensions, you should adhere to them. Here's what my approach would be:

Create some introductory tension by pedalling B natural (in whatever syncopated rhythm you choose) through the whole progression once. Second time through, go up a tritone to F natural (see how that sounds over the E-7). If you play the F high enough, it should work. A high E pedal would work over the third and fourth chords as an alternative.

Then go up again to a higher B natural for the third time, and finally a high F natural for the fourth time. Over the fourth F Natural, play down the scale F E D C B into your walking groove.

For the bulk of the tune, consider that B-7(b5) is essentially the same chord as the G7, except that you can play a C natural over the B-7(b5) but you shouldn't over the G7. For bars one and two, work out some things with the notes B D and F and for bars three and four, work with the notes E F B and C. Try to create two similarly-structured lines from those two note groupings.
  5. Craken

Craken

Great. Thanks for the advice! I think the main issue I am having is the 4/4 and 6/4, so I keep ending up on weak note choices on strong beats. I will keep working on it.