1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Walking Dead TV show spinoff coming in 2015

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Richland123, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I soooooooo want to be a zombie!!!!
  3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

As a fan of the Walking Dead series - meh.
  4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm with ya. While I'm sure I'll watch (and am actually looking forward to the Breaking Bad spin-off), this just seems to me like AMC trying to cash in.

Can't be any worse than Low Winter Sun. Zzzzz....
  5. Relic

Relic Cow are you? Supporting Member

I saw that mentioned in the news a little while ago. I'll give it a chance, but...... part of me is feeling more and more like that series may have jumped the shark..
  6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

I think the premise is kind of cool. It'll be 'The Walking Dead' with an entirely new cast, likely set somewhere other than the Atlanta region.
  7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    If any readers of the comics are here, it IS cool in a way.

What I would like is a tv version of the Rise of the Governor books. Still in the Walking Dead universe, but an entirely different story.

It would be awesome to see Phillip's transformation into the brutality that is the Governor.
  8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    It looks like David Morrisey will be playing in a new show NOT related to TWD.

Still, it would be awesome to see AMC adapt the "Rise" series to tv.
  9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I wouldn't be much of a fan of that. What I hate about prequels (or at least those focused on people we've already seen) is that we already know what happens in the end.
  10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Sort of. Yes, we know how he is NOW, but there's actually a really good story there.

Phillip isn't really Phillip. Penny wasn't his daughter, she was his niece. He took the name Phillip after his brother (the REAL Phillip Blake) was killed.

There's a lot of story there.
  11. MatticusMania

A lot of story that has already been told in the comics.

This spin-off isnt about appeasing fans of the comics, its for the fans of the show and its creators.
    We already have a story based on the comics, its still airing. They can even touch on the storyline you'd like to see (and I wouldnt be surprised if they do so in the next season).
    But the spin-off, thats about creating a new story set amongst this now familiar universe.
    Essentially, the creators want to take this from a coverband, now that theyre established, and change format to an original band since they have the audience.

I can see and appreciate the merit in that. Whether it will be good or not remains to be seen.
  12. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Don't be ludicrous Supporting Member

It would be cool if the cast is the same one from Sons of Anarchy. That would be EPIC.

Of course, nothing that cool could ever happen.
  13. Richland123

Richland123

David Morrissey will be starring in a brand new AMC TV series that is filming now and it has nothing to do with The Walking Dead.
  14. MatticusMania

My mistake, I missed the line in the article right before it and thought the second paragraph was related to the first.
  15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Well, I haven't seen very much info yet, but as long as Greg Nicotero is involved, I'm in.
  16. Sonic_Death

Sonic_Death

The concept of this is kind of cool. As someone who is both a fan of the comics and the show, I really do enjoy the universe Robert Kirkman created. It would be cool to see a completely different geographical area.

That being said, The Walking Dead was always about showing a very small sample size of people that survived so you can get more intimate with the details of it all and show the interpersonal struggles.

While I am sure they can achieve that same effect with a new group of people, it certainly does seem to be overkill. I'll have to mull this one over.
  17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

This can be really good or really bad. I imagine it will be good with the same people doing both shows. It will be nice to have both series show at different parts of the year so we wont have to wait as long for our walker fix.

The only down side I can think of is that their full attention will now be split between two shows having a negative impact on both of them. But I will watch with an open mind for sure.
  18. MatticusMania

My best guess is that by 2015 AMC will no longer be airing new episodes of 'The Walking Dead'. Though, I could be wrong.
  19. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    I think with the time-frame they have to shoot each episode, they would have plenty of time to devote to two shows.

The creators and actors both have commented on how each episode feels like shooting a separate movie. They get like 6 days to film each episode, with the season ending up much like summer camp by the time they all move on for each year.

I would think that based on that thinking, it would just mean the producers/directors would keep the "camp" open and rotate in the next group of "campers".
  20. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    There's plenty of material. Kirkman just started a new arc in TWD he's calling All Out War.