Walking techniques

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson' started by ToastyJ, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ToastyJ

ToastyJ

I have been playing bass for a couple of years now and I still feel I could greatly improve my walking techniques. I was wondering if there are any you could help out with or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Jacob Jones
  2. funkybass

funkybass

I'd start with his walking bass system vol.1. Triad modules book and dvd.
  3. robwren

robwren Supporting Member

Hi funkybass,

I'm just gonna jump in as Todd is in Brazil for clinics and concerts. I'm *sure* Todd would say to check out his Walking Bass Method as well as examples of "real" walking bass lines. Both of these things can be found on his site. His Walking Bass Method Vols 1 -3 videos are available for download there, as well as his "Playing' Through the Real Book" series, which include video lessons, transcriptions, and play-alongs of popular jazz tunes. Check it out...

Todd Johnson Music

Good luck!

Rob
  4. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jacob,
    I am a student of todd's and have worked thru the walking modules and a handful of the real book songs. They are really great and go from basic construction to several more advanced techniques. Transcribing the giants and also working with Todd's methods will get you there in a hurry . The dvds are great as you can watch them many times.
    Best
    Sri

5. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Jacob,

My friends have pretty much summed it up for me.....I would recommend my Walking Bass Volume 1....start there....when you REALLY have that together then lets talk. COOL????
  6. RhinoBass

RhinoBass

Ed Friedland's "Building Walking Bass Lines" is a fantastic book.
  7. Basscat125

Basscat125

Disclosures:
    none yet
    Whats the difference between downloading and getting book + dvd?
  8. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

If you download the DVD and "pdf" version of the book it's $15 an NO shipping and NO import tax. The DVD will take about an hour or so to download, but that's a lot faster and cheaper for everyone. Plus you get a pdf version of the book and the appropriate play along material. It's the way to go...trust me!!

If you order the physical DVD + book it's $40 PLUS shipping, PLUS import tax....PLUS you have to wait days or a couple of weeks for it to show up.

Make sense???
  9. ctregan

ctregan

Is it possible to change the downloaded m4v file into a DVD?

My computer is shared and I would rather play along on a TV, in my practice space.