walmart security

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Indiana Mike, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

This went to far....

http://www.examiner.com/article/wal...-being-detained-by-security-officer-employees

stealing is wrong but the death penalty is a little extreme .

They should have let him walk .they have ways of identifying a shoplifter should he return at a later date .Or get a plate number ....

I feel there where other options . It could have been the security guard or the associates who were killed ....

2. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

Media:
    I read that story elsewhere. Not surprised but sort of am. Walmart usually hires off-duty police for security. At least they did with the department I used to work for and I saw some at a Walmart on Black Friday. It avoids weird situations like this and police have better training and authority to arrest. When a Walmart hires non-police security, that usually means they want to pay less for security because bad stuff hasn't gone down in months and they want to lower overhead expenses.
    As for options, other retailers do two things: 1. attempt to stop. Most of the time, shoplifters who are caught don't run and get detained until the police arrive. This is a citizen's arrest in that the loss-prevention person has seen a crime occur and is detaining the person who committed the offense. 2. Let thief go. Upper management have an SOP in place to not restrain when there is resistance in order to protect their employees. If a shoplifter doesn't stop when told to do so. They are just followed and not detained.
    Most companies do not attempt to detain when met with resistance. Usually, when loss-prevention officers see a crime in progressmm they call the police and let them catch the shoplifters or at least they will be there if the shoplifter doesn't resist detainment.
    Anyway, this will all get handled in criminal court and civil court.

Side note: I'm kind of amazed that retailers who sell high-end, quality video cameras have crappy security video surveillance. At least that was what I saw when I was a cop.

3. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

It goes both ways IMHO on this one, if he had not been there, his family would still have some kind of bread winner. And workers over zealous for minimum wages? Does anyone feel the parents of accused thief share responsibility, for values instilled or not instilled?

4. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

Walmart pays above minimum wage. Substantially so by my definition of Substantial.

what is the point when we quit blaming the parents and start blaming those responsible? maybe we should blame Marilyn Manson while we're at it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Well they are still investigating but the way this went down I'm going to take a shot at the cause here.

They were trying to detain the shoplifter, not having received training and medical advise. Then in the end they could only restrain him by piling up on him, maybe latter sitting on him. If you do this too much people suffocate.

Occasionally this even happens to police officers, who do have training. Piling up on people for extended periods of time can kill them.

Wal-mart already dismissed the security guard which is consistent with my interpretation of them trying to hold him in a situation that was too volatile to do so safely.

7. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Perhaps but only a police state has enough police officers and ex officers alive to provide security at all the local Wal*Marts and the other large retailers and high dollar value ones

8. nortonrider

nortonrider

9. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

+1
    Probably didn't deserve to die but accidents happen, I suppose. Don't be a thief, problem solved.

10. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    Don't kill.

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

the facts show that some Rent a Cops are just plain wrong for the job!!!
    :eek:
    i just happen to know a few.

heyy, Walmart,... way to raise the bar!:hyper:

"SHOPLIFTERS WILL BE KILLED ON SITE"

"YOU PAY OR WE SLAY"

"BUY OR DIE, YOU MAGGOTS":rollno:

12. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Did you read the whole article? It said he & his wife have been estranged for quite a while and he has a history of substance abuse, theft, shoplifting and forgery. He was clearly not the bread winner and a bread winner doesn't shoplift to get what they need for the family, if they're in one. With his substance abuse history, it's a lot more likely that he was going to sell or pawn the BluRay players.

She said she feels like they killed him and the security guard said he put the guy in a choke hold and told him to tap when he couldn't breathe- he said there was no tap-out.

They're not just WalMart workers- they work for US Security. That's in the article, too.

13. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

+2

Something tells me this wasnt the first time, he just didn't get so lucky as to get away. Too bad that something like this happened and it didn't need to go that way, but if he was paying for the things there would've been no issue whatsoever.

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Tap out when you can no longer breath and the dead individual having no history of violence are going to bite all involved in a not so good spot.

15. IPA

IPA

Was this inside the store? If anyone in a public store asks you for a receipt or to check your bag, tell them politely to jump off a bridge. If they touch you or attempt to detain you, make some money.

16. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Yes, let's hold every parent responsible for the misdeeds of their children.

While we're at it, let's hold everyone responsible except those involved with the incident. I'm sure there were some people in the back of the store who could be prosecuted for not helping. Heck, let's find the chief of police and prosecute him for not doing more to eliminate crime.

My values are not the same as my parents' values. And my daughter's values are not likely to be the same as mine.

17. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

I agree with the sentiments above stating don't steal. Stupidity kills. Literally, in this instance. I have little sympathy.

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

+1

I think your odds of being killed at the hands of an asshat increase exponentially if you yourself are an asshat.

In the immortal words of my father:

Keep your nose clean and don't **** up.

19. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

LOL!!!

20. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

The last sentence in this article says it all, for me. He was a career scumbag. Buh-bye now!

"Calloway had a criminal record that includes shoplifting, forgery and substance abuse."

21. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Im all in agreement about not stealing and all, but its not really something one should lose their life over.

I agree, though, that putting yourself in precarious situations sometimes yields some pretty negative results.
    The truth remains that had he not attempted to steal the Blu Ray players, he'd still be alive right now.