Wammi World Teflon Nuts.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lovethegrowl, Jan 11, 2014.

1. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

I am putting a Wammi bar Kahler bridge on my Squier DAJV as I convert it to a 6 string. I have I blank 3/16" thick Teflon Wammi World nut that presumably lends itself to sanding down to 1/8" thick.

If it sands easily, won't my round wound Stainless Steel DR Hibeams wear down the string grooves just as easily?

I have inquired to Axe masters on eBay, & they offered to groove a custom made brass nut. But they haven't seen my bass. That sounds kinda random doesn't it

2. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Just got a message from Axemasters. The brass nut is out, my demands are too stringent. Is bone slippery enough for a Tremolo bridge?

3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

What's wrong with Graphtech products?

I'd use a roller nut + locking tuners or a locking nut + regular tuners with a tremolo though.

Regards
    Sam

4. lovethegrowl

lovethegrowl

Well, John the Wammi guy told me that the nut is easy to sand from 3/16" to the standard 1/8" Fender thickness. If that is the case then it seems that my round wound DR Hibeams could possibly file down the groves in time so that the frets could buzz when they shouldn't.

At least that's what manufacturers of brass nuts want us to believe. Since my Luther is doing all this work I will entrust him with making the final decision, but I am covering this from every angle.

My understanding is that locking nuts &/or tuners aren't to be used with my Kahler tremolo bridge.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

they don't really make locking nuts for bass i don't think, but locking bass keys are certainly a thing.

softer nuts can indeed wear, but on fenders with their shallow headstock string angles it's not a big problem, especially if the slots aren't cut super-low.

some materials may sand easily but still not wear so fast.