Wanna go? - Fighting/NHL

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bachlover, Mar 27, 2014.

1. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I love fighting. I've been a boxing fan since the early 70s, have probably 40 hours of fights stored on my PVR, and view them on a regular basis. I also like to fight. I have an intermediate belt in Kung fu and really love the physical challenge as well as the mental toughness/savvy/patience that throwing combos together until a point's scored requires.

I hate fighting in hockey. Watching 2 guys go then pat each other on the back when they're through makes me think that it's just an exercise that appeals to the baser (not basser lol) instincts of the crowd and doesn't really add to the beauty of the game that I grew up with.

I've also grown up with all of the rationalizations for fighting in hockey. "If fighting was banned, there'd be a lot more dangerous, chippy, stick work," "It motivates the team," "It's been part of the game for a long time, the crowd loves it, so it's here to stay."

The only argument I have for these points is the example of Olympic hockey. Anyone who fights is ejected from the game - period. As far as entertaining, spirited, tough, gritty play, I think it's more than a match for NHL play, something like the Ryder Cup compared to the Majors in golf. I think that the NHL should take a similar stance on fighting - a player fights - he's gone.

What do you think?

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

No. The political correctness of the world has already gone too far.

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Check out The Last Gladiators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv9UAmA0RJA

Pretty interesting documentary, follows one 'enforcer' and details the rise of fighting in the game.

But, no, it's a tough physical game and people will snap at each other.

4. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

Fighting is a major penalty. Good enough.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Similar to my experience practicing martial arts.

I agree.

I think you're right on. I've been a fan of hockey and have also played hockey since I was a kid and have never liked the fighting aspect of the game. The NHL would be better without it.

7. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I agree with the OP. You want to watch a fight, go watch a fight. Fighting in hockey just looks douchey to me - and contrived. You can't tell me that guys who have the focus and discipline necessary to make it to the NHL can't control themselves when it comes to little hissy fits - that's nonsense. Put that energy into the game (lest we forget that it IS a game after all). I'd like to add that hockey is exciting enough to watch without the fighting. Might be interesting in baseball or golf though. :D

8. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    + 1000

9. Milk

Milk

Canadian here, raised on hockey. I honestly could not care if fighting was banned. I was watching this thing on tv recently about concussions (with among others an ex canadian football pro who said if they had to do it again, they wouldn't have a career in football, the argument for football is different though, better equipment is the best you could do). Ex players, doctors, everyone said it should go. Sure concussions in hockey are still mainly from checking and such but anytime two guys punch each other in the face without gloves, there's a good chance for concussions down the line.

Of course to an extent fighting in hockey is consensual, but does it need to exist? I mean it is pretty weird if you think about it. A sport where fighting is encouraged (i mean how many players if they werent tough and didnt know how too fight would never have made it to the NHL....a lot) We don't blink at it but imagine if two Baskeball player started punching each other...or baseball players.

I think personally it's only a matter of time before fighting is banned in hockey. It kinda defeats the whole idea behind sports too. For me a fight in a game adds nothing to it. I enjoy Olympic Hockey just fine. It appeals to baser instincts i guess i do not have. Sure i enjoy some violence like any normal human being, action films, what not. But fighting in hockey fulfills no need for me. Its at best a tension release for people who take games way too seriously.... I mean if a contact sport like football can do without it, why cant hockey?

If you're good at punching, there's MMA or boxing. I find it indecent that some players are so well paid just for being thugs and goons. I was watching an interview recently with Chris Nilan, famous Montreal Canadiens goon in the 80's (people adored him here). He was raised on the rough side of Boston, said if he hadn't had hockey for violent release, he would have ended up in jail. Hmm... great for him, but personally? Not sure thats the kind of people that should end up playing professional sports. I know someone might say well that's actually the case for a lot of BB players from the ghettoes, but that's different, they're not paid to be violent on the court.

10. bass12

There's a difference between political correctness and decency.

11. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

Isn't a boxing match "contrived"?

What is so bad about a fight in a hockey game in comparison to a fight in a boxing match? Why don't you feel the boxing match is worse? The whole point of it is the fight. A fight in a hockey game is not the point of the game, it is illegal & is a penalty.

What makes a fan of hockey fights "base" when a boxing fan isn't? Doesn't that claim strike you as a bit odd?

12. stratovani

stratovani

I'm old school as far as fighting in hockey goes. Today's hockey fights are a joke. They grab each other's shoulder pads at the base of the neck, then spend the rest of the time trying to get rid of the elbow pad in the other arm so they can start swinging. So lame. Wanna see a real hockey fight? Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ago2wBI50cE

Dave Schultz vs Terry O'Reilly. Now THAT'S a fight! :bag: :D

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Which is exactly why the penalty for it should be much more severe. It adds nothing to the game. The NHL has talentless goons filling roster spots just because they can fight.

I agree with the OP, Olympic hockey is much better to watch and this might be the biggest reason.

14. GregC

That's a beaten-to-death catchphrase, not an argument.

15. bass12

I'm not a fan of boxing but to me there's a big difference between that kind of fight and the sort of fighting you see during a hockey game. First of all, there's a skill in evidence where boxers are concerned, just as there is with any martial art - it's not just a couple of guys throwing punches. So, while it's not my kind of "art" I can see that there is some "art" to it. With a hockey game it reminds me of two drunk girls fighting on a street corner - no class whatsoever. It's pathetic looking and all it makes me think is, "get on with the game you idiots".

16. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

Well, I think the severity of the punishment is enough at 5 minutes. What about hooking? Hooking adds nothing to the game. Should that be a game misconduct too?

17. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

So? It applies. I don't see why the NHL should change just because some detractors, whoever they may be, think it is barbaric or whatever. Not everything has to be changed to reflect a mainstream view of how things in society should be.

18. Milk

Milk

Exactly, the point of boxing is to fight. The point of hockey isnt. I don't find boxing base because that IS the sport. And sure its a penalty but its not like the two players are even prevented from fighting. Its like ok now everyone has ha their fight, no go sit on benches cause you've been bad. Sure the instigator will get a worse penalty (well a misconduct) but that's essentially just to discourage them from doing it too often.

I mean here's the nhl rules from wikipedia:

The rulebooks of the NHL and other professional leagues contain specific rules for fighting. These rules state that at the initiation of a fight, both players must drop their sticks so as not to use them as a weapon. Players must also "drop" or shake off their protective gloves in order to fight bare-knuckled (essentially, "throwing down the gauntlet"), as the hard leather and plastic of hockey gloves would increase the effect of landed blows. Players must also heed a referee warning to end a fight once the opponents have been separated. Failure to adhere to any of these rules results in an immediate game misconduct penalty and the possibility of fines and suspension from future games.[14]

In many leagues, linesmen will permit a fight between two players to run its course until one or both players end up on the ice. Linesmen will actively try to break up fights that are one-sided, where one player gains an advantage, where more than two participants are involved, or in situations involving multiple fights.
    "

I mean the rules CLEARLY are defined in a way that encourages the fight and wait until a "winner" is determined...more or less.

I just think it distracts from the game and rewards violent players (with NHL money i mean). I don't see a purpose. In boxing, punching the other guy and winning IS the purpose. I mean if NHL teams didnt need fighting goons, that would leave the spots to players who actually can play and not just punch (and yes SOME goons can play well enough, but not the majority of them...) Id rather these guys, who might not be Gretzky but can play well enough for a third or fourth line, be rewarded with a NHL contract than the morons who just knows how to throw punches and have too much pent up anger.

19. GregC

Looking at all the fights that go on in hockey games despite the 5-minute penalty, I'd say it's clearly not enough.

I mean, look at this stupid nonsense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIlLbJHKw8M

20. GregC

It's not about barbarism, it's that it's not actual hockey.

21. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome

I think it's ironic that you think less of athletes who play hockey and fight than those who just plain fight.......because they fight. That's kind of funny.

Anyhoo, the bottom line of this debate will always be very simple: it's a matter of opinion on what the penalty should be. That's it. Some fans like fights, some don't. For every person you get saying how "douchey" the scrappers look (opinion) you'll get another saying how the players are "self policing" and that fighting is necessary (again, opinion). There is no right or wrong.